SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lemonsforchams

potted new trees

lemonsforchams
17 years ago

Today I managed to repot my three standard improved myers lemon trees from growquest.I have been VERY sick the last three days and seeing that is 92F,it was quite the task!!! I stated before that the trees arrived in pots with hay in place of soil.I have to correct this by letting you know that after removing the hay,there was a thick and swampy soil clinging (cemented) to the roots,which actually contained a living freshwater clam!!!! The trees were certainly in need of repotting.One tree also has a gash out of half of the trunk,through to the core of the tree.I wrapped this with vet wrap and will monitor it.I decided that the trees had small rootballs and were better off in smaller pots.I headed off to HOMEDEPOT and PETCO were $180.00 later, i had 2 bags of cedar mulch,3 bags of CHC,6 bricks of coir,2 bags of longfibered spahgnum moss,1 bag of bone meal,a bag of HOLLYTONE,3 bags of laterite,and 3 pots of acceptable size.I mixed all of the coir bricks in a wheel-barrow to soak and mixed in the 3 bags of CHC,I added all three bags of laterite,and I mixed in the 2 bags of spahgnum moss.I did NOT use any of the cedar mulch,as this mix turned out heavy enough to hold some moisture,but drained well enough that a running hose caused no running over at the surface.I mixed in a bit of bone meal in each pot and planted the trees in the mix.I realize now that bone meal is best left for activley growing plants,as it it is highest in phosphorus,which intitiates flower formation.No harm done.I only used a bit,but figured I'd let everyone know about my blunder;^).I watered them in well and topped them off with a sprinkleing of HOLLYTONE,to give something to the plant for root growth and foliage with the dose of bone meal.I did not water that is and the plants will have at least a week to settle before I water again.I rinsed all the old mix off of the roots,as it was terrible and I aside from iron,this mix was sterile as far as nutrients go.The addition of a bit of mild fertilizer,and organic stuff at that,is safe for the new plants.I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of my new babies.

Comments (14)