SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sueinco

Transplanting potted citrus to a smaller container

sueinco
16 years ago

We've recently moved from SoCal to Colorado and left behind two citrus trees in huge plastic pots, maybe 32-36'' across and perhaps 32 inches high. I'm debating whether to plant them both permanently in my folks' California garden, where we're visiting right now, or try to get the wonderful tangerine of the pair to Colorado and nurse it along until we get an attached greenhouse built.

The tangerine's just about done fruiting, so I think it's a time we could consider pruning/repotting it, but we'd need to go smaller to get it into the car DH is going to drive back to Colorado.

Has anyone tried to repot a tree (trunk diameter is still only about 2" and the height's probably between 3 1/2 and 4') into a 30 percent or so smaller pot? Should we abandon the effort if we find the rootball has filled the current pot or is it possible to trim roots in the manner that you trim roots off a rootbound house plant?

I'd love to bring it with us, but not if we're going to just kill it in the process. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Warmly,

Sue Sullivan

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!