SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

First time - Meyer Lemon, Tango mandarin

canadianplant
10 years ago

I finally got my hands on some citrus trees to use as patio plants for the summer. I know they wont make it in the winter here, so Ill be taking them indoors. Ive never taken care of citrus like these so I have a few questions:

1) What are the best temps to take the trees outside? The highs are between 10C and 20C, and the lows are forcasted to be no lower then 6C. Its going to rain and I would like them to get outside for a wash.. The mandarin has super small fruits developing, and the Meyer looks to be just trying to flower. I just dont want to expose them to "cool" temps and have them "bud drop", or drop fruit

2) Im aware mandarins have been grown in pots in asia for a very long time. MY tree is roughly 3 feet tall, and is in a foot and a half deep pot that is roughly 6 inches wide. The meyer lemon is barley a fot tall, in a hex shaped one (or 2) gallon pot, and should be fine for a year or 2 IMO.

3) How well do they acclimate going in/outdoor? Some plants, like Ficus benjimina take their time to acclimate, and still drop leaves, while Yucca guatamalensis can almost go directly into full sun.

4)How sensitive are they to sprays? I only use safers soap, or water with a few drops of dawn dishsoap for my pest problems.

5) All info Ive read says they need a good amount of water. Should you follow the general rule of allowing the soil to dry slightly between watering, or should you give them more?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!