SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Organic fertilizers for my citrus---IN POTS!

kristimama
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've been posting this question on the container forum AND the organic forum... and figured I'd throw it out here too since it concerns my new citrus that I want to grow in pots. Ummm... organically. :-0

I'm completely SOLD on the idea of Al's bark/peat/perlite soil and I just used it for my blueberries. Man that stuff moves fast!

But when I went to his post about fertilizers... I was shocked to find out that growing organically in pots--at least to Al's definition of full genetic potential--is unachievable. Even those folks ON the organic board, a lot of them would agree that containers are a different beast than planting in the soil.

Are any of you growing your pots with organic fertilizers?

Any advice from you experienced citrus growers?

I've got the EB Stone citrus food and I'm not averse to mixing up some fish pooh (LOL) or sea kelp or whatever will work.

I've also asked Al if he thought you could substitute the 1 part peat in his mix for 1 part of compost... just to make the soil more receptive to the organic fertilizers.

I'm not trying to stir up dissent against Al's great mix... I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way I can use his mix with organic gardening practices.

There's gotta be. Those orangeries in France dating back hundreds of years (when they didn't even HAVE miracle grow) are living proof.

Thanks!

Comment (1)