SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammy_kennedy

getting rid of bermuda

tamelask
11 years ago

ok, so i have to ask a question, and i sure hope y'all can help. I'm part of a small community garden and we've only been going 3 years or so. It's in an old field and we have all sorts of 'issues' and weeds. So far the worst is bermuda- or at least the most intractable. It's full, hot sun and sandy soil. What started as a small patch of bermuda between some of the permanent rows we built the first fall has now spread through at least 4 rows, and counting (the bulk of it this summer). We've been fighting it the past year or so by digging and have tried spraying it with roundup (reluctantly at first) but it's still going gangbusters; much faster than we can dig it out with our limited hours and membership. We cover our paths with cardboard and then mulch and that's where it is the thickest- partly because we've dug it out more aggressively in the beds, and sprayed the paths instead. It is still coming up in the beds, though. These are raised rows, but no hard dividers of any kind (can't afford that), so it makes it really hard to confine it to the paths. The head lady and i are contemplating spraying the heck out of the affected area just before it hits dormancy in fall and covering the whole shebang with plastic for the winter to try to smother it. We'd work in another portion of the garden through the winter. We hate to lose a season in our now well amended soil, but suspect there's nothing to be done for it. We don't really want to use strong chemicals, but might entertain the idea if it was very specific to bermuda. I've read about using straight pickling vinegar but know that only kills the top and suspect it would only make the evil stuff laugh. Thoughts? Advice?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH