SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Sequoia, Sequoiadendron and Metasequoia gallery

A batch of foggy weather and the recent gallery on blue coast redwoods encouraged me to start another gallery. Let the naysayers yelleth!

Post any shots of redwoods you'd like here. Species, seedlings in your gardens, neighbors plants and of course, cultivars!

I have a ton to contribute, from all four, so this should be a fun gallery.

Might as well start with a few epic ones:

'General Sherman'. Currently the largest living thing on earth, General Sherman is a mammoth Sierra Redwood(Sequoiadendron giganteum), with nearly 1,500 cubic meters of living material. Age estimates are vague, but it appears to be roughly 2,200-2,600 years old. 275 feet tall and over 35 feet wide at it's largest base point, it really overwhelms you when you see it in person. It's a must see, and truely a national(planetary) treasure.

{{gwi:611590}}

{{gwi:611591}}

Not to be outdone, the Coast Redwood(sequoia sempervirens), reach greater height and their is credible historical evidence that they were the largest trees on the planet with one specimen achieving some 30-50% more total volume then the General Sherman Sequoiadendron.

This massive specimen in Jeddidiah State Redwood Park is not even in the top 10 and it has a width of some 25 feet at the base and is probably taller then 300 feet.

{{gwi:611592}}

Another massive coast redwood, this is actually two trees that have long ago fused together. Named 'Screaming Titans', they aren't particularly noteworthy, statistically speaking but boy do they make for an amazing photo opportunity. I'm a big guy too, err... you'll have to take my word for it.

{{gwi:611593}}

Now a few great trees I feel blessed to have growing in my neighborhood.

Sequoia sempervirens. The neighbor planted this in the early 90s he said, as a five gallon pot. I'd estimate it's 45-50 feet tall. Also notice how wide it seems to grow with abundant sunshine. He doesn't water it and despite our very dry Summers, it has done very well. Growing about two feet per year.

{{gwi:611594}}

{{gwi:611595}}

Sequoiadendron giganteum growing in my neighbors lot. Despite being crowded and shaded, it's exploding skyward. He said he planted it eight years ago though I am a bit doubtful(probably like 10-12).

{{gwi:611596}}

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendulum'. Three great specimens in a neighbors yard and they are likely ignorant to what they are. Pretty cool.

{{gwi:611597}}

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Powder Blue'. Growing like CRAZY, which is amazing because it is planted on what used to be a compacted parking strip. Besides laying down some park and weedblock, my neighbor did NOTHING to this space, so these roots are powering through the lousy soil.

{{gwi:611598}}

Edwin, you suggested last year 'Powdered Blue' and I did find a tag but it said 'Powder Blue'. Which is correct?

Sequoiadendron giganteum, species. Growing wide and fast in it's first year. I drown it in water once a week.

{{gwi:611599}}

Metasequoia glyptostrobiodes 'Ogon', (synon. 'Gold Rush)'. A phenominal plant, and perfectly situated for light here, it obtains a golden-green hue where ever sun strikes it and it holds this luminous color for months on end. The needles color a brown-orange in Autumn before falling off, indeed a rare deciduous conifer.

{{gwi:611600}}

-Will

Here is a link that might be useful: Last year's gallery(Sequoias)

Comments (44)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville