SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zigzag_gw

Update on a previous tree thread

zigzag
14 years ago

Back awhile ago, I got some good info from folks here regarding the monster Bradford Pear next door (and I admit I derailed the Weeping Willow OP and apologize again!).

Anyway, in review, the neighbor's BP was a total monster and I'd been concerned about my water/sewer lines ill-placed but feet from the BP tree base next door. Well, I got that fear assuaged - pipes are probably safe, phew!

But, above ground, the monster tree still stood tall and wide, shading my yard, totally hiding my house (friends would drive by and have to back up) and compromising much of my landscaping. (Here's the original thread, if anyone's interested - http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/carolgard/msg050958349830.html)

I have my own big tree - a Shackleford Serviceberry - that was being completely invaded by the BP. My Garden Elves had gently pruned the BP (w/in my lot line) last winter, but the BP totally took off this year and was posing a real problem. I was so discouraged.

You see, the BP homeowner is an investor, the house is a rental and I feared I had no hope of resolution. But, I was tilting at windmills again!

I make it a practice to stay friendly w/my rental neighbors (I have a boatload!) and it can pay off. Tenants moving out of the BP property last week strongly advised the landlord to prune that tree way back, citing all sorts of hypothetical liabilities ....(guess who planted that seed of thought?!) .. and it worked! Yesterday the landlord spent the whole day sawing and pruning - YEA!

It's not perfect, the tree is still way too big and still a hazard, but I have a newfound confidence in cutting it back from my side without any negative repercussions from the property owner.

Ah the joys of homeownership on a tenth of an acre within City Limits! :o)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio