SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heather1216_gw

Meyer Lemon Question

heather1216
11 years ago

First off, I hi and thank you for all your helpful tips I've found by stalking these forums since we started growing last year. If this questions has already been asked, I apologize, I looked multiple times and can not find a definitive answer.

We planted a little Meyer lemon tree we picked up at Lowes in February. it had 5 small lemon to small lime sized fruits on it already. I had one flower open 3/18 and it is now growing and is about the size of a large chickpea. Last week we had major bloomage. It's still going, and the plant is pollinating some and dropping some pollinated flowers. I understand that it's young and couldn't support the 25 pollinated ones it put out, and that's fine, but I'm wondering, since I still have some flowers about to open, should I leave the established fruit that was on when I bought it/potted it?

I'm mostly curious- the fruit on it when I bought it- is that going to keep growing/ripening? We did have a super mild winter this year, even for central Florida. Are they going to be okay or should I take them off so I can maybe give the plant some more energy for the remaining flowers that will be opening in the next few days?

Thanks so much for any advice. This is my first citrus attempt, and I just don't know if the fruit that has been on it for who knows how long is still viable or if it holding the plant back?

Comments (4)