SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deirdre_2007

Is there anything that the japanese beetle doesn't eat?

deirdre_2007
16 years ago

Please excuse the tone of this email, but I'm just so damn frustrated. I spent so much time and energy trying to make my garden beautiful and just when I should be enjoying my garden, I'm looking at a bunch of green plants without any flowers because all the buds were eaten by the damn beetles. It seems that I planted everything they love to eat, roses, hibiscus, rose of sharon, callas. Sigh. I wanted to buy some Dahlias, and apparently those are well-loved snack also.

So I'm seeking some suggestions please. I'm looking for a perennial, or a self-sowing annual, that blooms throughout the summer. I'd prefer yellows, oranges, reds, or deep pinks. I'm not so much into blue or purple, but if the beetles don't eat 'em, I'll get into them!!! The area to be planted would be full sun to mostly sunny and I'm thinking that I'd only want to water every other day, or every 3rd day. I can't handle anything that needs daily watering. Also, I really don't want anything that's prone to other pests. I'd like to plant it, water it, feed it every 3 weeks and enjoy it.

Lastly, how much longer will these buggers be around??? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel???

And on a positive note, all of my annuals from last year re-seeded themselves and they are blooming profusely, as are my verbena and some of my lantana, but I don't think I'd classify their blooms as "profuse", more like intermittent!! Oh and my tree peony that I planted is looking rather well, although it hasn't bloomed yet. Can you tell that I'm just trying to get over the damn-beetle-blues????

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery