SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calamondin_concerns

extremely concerned about my calamondin

Please help! I received a calamondin tree as a gift in December 2005. When it arrived it was about 5 ft tall and full of fruit. At the time I received what I am now starting to suspect was bad advice from the florist who delivered the tree; she said that I needed to water the tree often and suggested every couple of days.

I am a first time plant owner so I made other mistakes. The plant gets decent sun light but not straight sun light. The plant is in an office where I am unable to open the windows so the plant does not get fresh air, but on the positive side the plant is in a warm room. My biggest concern is on top of receiving the advice to water the plant every two days, I am concerned that the plant did not have proper drainage so not only was I over watering the plant but it was not draining well.

I called the florist after a month because I was losing a lot of leaves and she indicated that I was not watering it enough. So I increased the watering but did not change the drainage problem. Today I am left with a plant that has lost about half its leaves and is also dropping fruit at an accelerating rate. The plant is full of dead branches and also has branches that are for the moment green but that have no more leaves left on them.

I love this plant as it was a gift from very special people in my life. I clearly did not do enough research and took the simple advice from someone without digging deeper. BUT at this point given the situation I am in, does anyone have emergency suggestions that might give me a chance for saving this plant. For starters I am most worried about the over watering and any negative impact it cuold have had on rotting the roots. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comments (5)