SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Dividing clem.Integrifolia?

arbo_retum
18 years ago

I have looked all through my Toomey and Leeds Clematis book but can find no answer to this question- Can I divide a well-established Clematis Integrifolia(8-10"diameter base)? if yes, when? thank you for the help.

Comments (6)

• magda
    18 years ago

Actually, I am interested in the same question. The answer I have found so far is NO- cuttings only. But, don't ask me where I found it- I don't remember.

• magda
    18 years ago

Actually, I just googled dividing integrifolia, and it seems that it can be done. It's supposed to be done in autumn. If you try it, don't forget to post the results. I'll try to take cuttings, and will post the results as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: google results

• patricianat
    18 years ago

Anxious to hear how this turns out. Sounds exciting. Would be a way to have more Integrifolias spread through the beds.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

that's what i've found out, by googling it. IF i do it, i will report next spring.
    best, mindy

• katie
    18 years ago

I've divided integrifolias twice. One was about 6' to 8' across. It did not divide well, I lost all but one piece. I divided Alionushka because I had to move it out of a large barrel. Out of 5 or 6 chunks three pieces made it. May I suggest - if you don't need to move the clump completely but want starts just dig in one side that sticks out and cut a section off (with roots) and pot it up for TLC for a year. I've done that with lots of my clematis. I get quite a few root starts that way.

katie

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

or did you mean inches? mine is 12"diameter clump. did you mean use the shovel to dig up one side of the clump and cut away a section with roots?

if i were to pot it up for a year, that would have to be inside in the winter here in z.5, so i think i'd have to plant it immed'ly after dividing.