SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sega_gw

Need Help!!! Bad landscaping job?? Feel ripped off

sega
12 years ago

I hope someone can help me! Im so upset. I am a complete novice about landscaping.

Just had a smallish job done this week. One that I save up money for 2 yrs. to do and still could not really afford.

The landscaper was highly recommended by a very high end nursery nearby. She made a proposal which I liked and didnt get other proposals which is my fault. There have been many problems and I dont know what to do. She was to put in a drip line with 2 timers and install plants in 2 small beds in the front of the house and a narrow bed in the back of the house. The final invoice included the following:

5 Loropetalum 3 gallon at $30 each

9 Knockout Rose 3 gallon at $25 each

13 Breeze Grass 3 gallon at $18 each

14 Bulbine 1 gallon at $12 each

2 confederate jasmine at $35 each

Drip line irrigation for $110

2 timers for $50 each

Labor $325

sales tax $100

They were here maybe 3 hrs.

I had to leave to work and could not stay for the job.

When I returned I found the rose bushes were very small with no blooms and had cut stems. The plant arrangement was different from the plan she proposed. She had also divided and moved my mexican petunia without checking with me to my dismay. One bed around a tree was completely skipped and no pine straw put down.

After carefully examining the invoice I realize how exorbitant her prices were. I asked her about it and she said she has to charge extra per plant to make money cause she is lower on her labor and she has to pay retail herself for the plants. I didnt understand why that would be. I also asked her why the roses so small and no blooms. She said they had just been cut back which happens in spring. However, I had been to Lowes and another place which had beautiful big blooming roses for much less with no cut stems. I tried to be understanding but it didnt sit well with me. Especially since she charged a premium price. Only a third of the bulbines were blooming and the others were just a clump of green leaves. I wanted color and instant gratification! Why else would I have paid so much-I could have tossed these small plants in myself.

She didnt tell me I had to water and in fact said irrigation was fine.

the next morning I came out and everything looked wilted. I noticed brown crispy leaves on the roses. I checked the drip line and saw it didnt even come near 3 plants at all. I contacted her immed. to tell her and ask her to check the roses and the drip line. Remember I am totally uneducated about this stuff and was trying to figure it out on the spot. She later said she came by and that they looked fine. But I may need to hand water the plants for about a week.

I again checked the line and saw the first emitter didnt come out till about 15 inches past the first 2 plants and missed another. along one side it was pulled away from the plant bases. I called her and she came out and put additional tubing on the line. She also said the roses were just "stressed" and would look great in a month!

Well I feel totally hoodwinked. The plants look like crap, all seem too small for 3 gallon, and now the roses have BLACK SPOT!!!

The front beds are also totally uneven with holes and I almost tripped in one today. The bushes are sitting down in deep holes and look like they were thrown in with no care. I dont see where the soil was ammended at all.

I dont know what to do but I feel ripped off. Any advice would be welcome.

BTW I paid in cash and was not given a receipt :(

Thanks

Comments (11)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional