SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rammankin

Citrus from seed from grocery store produce

rammankin
17 years ago

I've been reading, and have come to realize that growing a citrus plant from seeds found in a fruit that came from the grocery store isn't as easy as I thought it would be, depending if they are "true to seed", and/or need to be cross pollinated, etc. I was hoping to avoid buying a tree from Lowe's that is capable of fruit bearing (is small/dwarf that produces regular size fruit), instead I'm thinking that I'd like to grow my own.

Can anyone give me a somewhat simple list of some pretty common citrus fruits that a person could acquire from a fruit bought at the grocery store, plant, and hope to grow indoors that will produce fruit? Preferably smaller plants that would produce regular size fruit.

Ideally it would be cool to have something like oranges/grapefruit that I could occasionally eat for a breakfast... my wife loves lemons too, so I told her I'd find out if I could grow a plant successfully that could produce lemons for her. I understand this takes a long time from seeds for any citrus plant (4-7 years, right?).

I have two clementine seeds that I wanted to plant from such a fruit from a grocery store, but looks like they'd never produce fruit, unless they were cross pollinated...

I'll keep the plants outside when it's warm enough, and when it's cold, indoors with artificial light. They'd have to stay rootbound in pots, but I don't foresee any problems (yet) with repotting them every year or two into larger pots to accomidate growth.

Any help as to what to pick to grow indoors and produce fruit would be great, along with anything else that someone more knowlegable in this than I feels worth mentioning to a beginner in citrus planting.

Comments (2)