SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbbubbles

repotting large adenium

bbbubbles
13 years ago

I recently bought a house about a year ago, and the previous owner had a rather large desert rose he left potted under the back pergola. It seemed quite neglected so I repotted about 5 months ago, after which it had beautiful growth. Recently I have been having problems with pests. A few days ago I braved pruning after doing a bit of research and have decided to pot in a more appopraite mix. Due to heavy SW FL rains in the summer (as this is an outdoor potted plant).

The plant from the root ball to the top is roughly my hight 5 foot 5...haha. It had been planted by the prior owner so that bulk of the caudex was below the surface and the stems appeared to come from the ground. In replanting the first time I was too scarred to lift it any higher out of the ground, due to numerous small and medium sized roots at this level. Also the caudex and root ball under the ground is over a foot tall.

In repotting this time I would like to use a shallow bowl shaped pot w/ 2/3 miracle gro catus and 1/3 perlite. And have more of the caudex showing. However, is showing these numerous roots dangerous to the plant (burning) or should and is their a way to prune these, or will they naturally die or expand down? (Normally I dont see roots on the plant so high up besides the very large roots...likely because they were never stuck all the way in the ground...haha). There are much larger roots at the buttom of the root ball, which I no way intend to touch. I would not only like to elevate the plant for aesthetic appeal, but to gaurd against rot.

Please give any advice you can on the particular situation. I truly love this plant and I am assuming it is older based on its large size. I can't tell how stressed out the thought of hurting it makes me. Yes, I am strange.

Thanks

Loren

Comments (6)