SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

Mesmerized by blooms. I cannot believe how beautiful (Pics)

lovetogrowflowers
14 years ago

This first pic below is of the one in the bedroom. It was given to me about 2-3 days ago, with buds almost open. Now they're fully open, and my wife wants them out of the bedroom. She says the smell is strong. *LOL*

It is just a stalk stuck in water right now. Once it gets roots I plan to pot it, if you all advise me to do so.

What would be better (or have better luck with it surviving), leave it in the water all winter or pot it up? If I read right I would fertilize about every 3 weeks, diluted dose and water very little when potted. Just double checking. I accept any and all advice.

I actually have 3 cuttings also. I was told what to do with them by Karyn, and that's the email I cannot find. They were potted around the end of August, and I feel they may be to young to go dormant and survive. I think she told me to water them also sparingly, diluted dose of fertilizer. I plan to keep those going this winter. If I am wrong Karyn please chime back in. :) Sorry, but I can't remember what you told me to do with the small potted cuttings. Anyway, here is the pic of that one in water.

{{gwi:564080}}

MORE PICS BELOW

Below are my others that everyone here helped me so much with. Thanks to everyone. I am new here so I cannot remember everyone's handle or name, but Karyn stands out. She gave me much advice. I am still trying to dig through emails and see what else she may have told me to do or not to do. THANK YOU SO MUCH KARYN! You gave me faith that I could do this. You remember how they looked. Now I am just in love with them. I might poop my pants when I finally get them in the ground next season and see the growth. I think I am in love with these plants. I accidentally bumped one of the blooms when moving it into the house the past few nights due to cold weather, and caught myself saying, oh I'm sorry baby. *LOL* Okay, I'll shut up now *LOL*. Here are the pics.

{{gwi:564081}}

{{gwi:564083}}

{{gwi:564084}}

{{gwi:564085}}

{{gwi:564086}}

{{gwi:564087}}

{{gwi:564088}}

{{gwi:564089}}

One last thing. I haven't fully decided to put them in the crawlspace. I thought about it, and thought maybe my utility room might work. It stays pretty cold in there. There is only a half door to the room to keep the dogs in when needed. So the temperature is cold, but not as cold as outside. I figure that should work for dormancy.

My plan, stick the two big ones, the white brugs in pics above over into my big unused aquarium. Possibly cut them back, but maybe not. Mulch really well into the aquarium, covering the pots. That way, if it gets colder in that room than I expect the mulch should keep them safe and warm. Plus, the upside to the utility room versus the crawlspace (which I have no idea of the temperature or a way to control it) I also have an outlet that I could plug an electric heater into to warm things up if needed. What do you all think?

Comments (9)