SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gee8ch

How to Care for Thin, Green Cuttings

gee8ch
16 years ago

Karyn et al: Just lost some thin, green cuttings in the Bubbler. Would like to try your way, Karyn of planting in soil. Please give specifics ... soil mix, how deep, feeding. Do you "tent" the cuttings or leave them to open air? Appreciate any advice Anyone has to share because I'm as green as these cuttings I've been spending $$ on! :0(

TIA Gloria

Comments (47)

• gardenpaw
    16 years ago

Hi Gloria,
    Im so sorry the cuttings did`nt make it for you, that is so
    upsetting.
    I have a small green cutting in the bubbler also and have
    already had to cut it back because it was`nt doing well
    either, keeping a close watch on it.
    Wish I had some good advice on what to do, green cuttings
    are more difficult.
    Best wishes,
    Gardenpaw

• chena
    16 years ago

Hey!!!
    Sorry to hear about your cuttings... Green cuttings can be Brats... It seems to make a difference with different plants as well.. I don't keep green cuttings in the B-O-B becoz if one does go bad your water is tainted.. I have a couple right now from a Solid Gold that have been in a jar on the porch for 3 days and are starting to get nubs.. I do change the water a couple of times a day becoz I am out there.. Normally I would stick them in a pill bottle/jar on the window sill and change the water once a day..I have had decent luck but I have lost more than a few...
    What cuttings do you have???
    Chena

• Related Discussions

Lawn Care/ Putting Green Care

Q

Comments (2)
    If you are looking for a putting green you need something like dwarf tiff eagle, or anything with dwarf..... Or use one of the high grade Paspalums. A seeded variity just won't work. You will need to cut at 1/4" or lower with a greens quality mower.$$$$$ And be prepared to mow at least every other day up to everyday when the weather is hot.
    ...See More

Cutting success! How have your cuttings done?

Q

Comments (6)
    I took the last cuttings on May 18th. They are nearly ready for planting but most are destined to become pot tubers. I root the cuttings under florescent lights in our daylight basement. Temperature is about72 degrees under the lights. I do not believe I could be very successful in using my greenhouse as the temperature fluctuates too much, It is the heat that is bad. Skinny sprouts root just fine for me but take longer to grow into plants suitable to put into the garden. Like you, I more than one of the skinny ones into pots to root and divide them into single pots later. No rooting hormones or fertilizer is needed to root dahlias. Fertilizer will cause them to rot. A very weak solution of 20-20-20 greenhouse fertilizer can be applied after they root at about 12 days.
    ...See More

care for red fountain grass -- it's turning green!

Q

Comments (3)
    Yes. But depending on where you are located, it may not overwinter so not much point in cutting back. Pennisteum setaceum 'Rubrum' - red fountain grass - is not winter hardy in zones below 9.
    ...See More

Crassula Green Pagoda Care

Q

Comments (6)
    That tall one will eventually fall over, repot or not. I see lots of folks propagate from the leaves. I've had luck with stems with some leaves at the top. I'd cut the tall one above the bottom 2 leaves, divide the remaining stem into 2 sections, remove leaves from the bottom half of those sections and put the stem segments in with your repot. You could lay the leaves in there too. I don't know if that's ideal technique, but its worked on a similar plant for me. I'd guess its as much about the species being resilient.
    ...See More
  • wildflower
    16 years ago

What I do with small or tip cuttings is put them straight into a good quality potting soil in a quart size pot. I use root-tone and then stick them in the shade outside and water about every 2 days. I've only done about a dozen this way this year but 100% success rate. In doing this in the past I noticed that the cooler the temps get outside, the harder it gets and longer it takes them to root. What is "tenting"?

• jeep461
    16 years ago

Here is my best guess, change the water daily and break into smaller individual containers. Keep the water cool. 70 degrees seems to be a magic mark. Everything comes to life including bacteria. I always seemed to have best luck around 65 degrees my well water temp.

In retrospect I will use small pots or Styrofoam cups with a 50/50 mix perlite and potting soil and dip them in rootone or a rooting solution. These will be kept inside to keep cool in summer and warm in winter. They root slower but do seem to have a much better survival rate.

Now if they were real special, they would get test tubes and sterile water. If they are so fragile to root It would probably kill them as soon as they were put in the ground here.

Little ones are a pia.

Jim

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I just stick them in a pot of soil and keep it slightly moist, maybe a little on the dry side until I see that they are grwing then I'll increase the amount of water I give them. I don't tent them or do anything special. I don't use any rooting powder either.
    Karyn

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wildflower: Tenting for me means covering with a dome or plastic for a greenhouse effect.
    GP;chena; Jim; Karyn: These were the only cuttings in the bubbler . The water was maintained at about 68-70F. Water was chlorine and salt free. Water stayed clear. Everything was looking good except the cuttings! They rotted within not quite 3 days! So completely, some seemed even hollow, that there was nothing to trim for saving. There were some brown spots on the cuttings when I rec'd them. These were L'Amour cuttings. Haven't heard back from the vender (e-bay) yet. Hope they will be replaced. Bubbler emptied, disinfected,scrubbed and rinsed well. Waiting for some more cuttings. But will no longer water root thin green cuttings. Not the first time its happened with thin cuttings. Will pot them up as some of you suggest. Thanks, Gloria

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Did they shrivel up from the top down?

• tngreenthumb
    16 years ago

I quit even trying to root the tips. When I cut mine back every Fall anything smaller than my pinky goes on the compost pile. It's just not worth the trouble.

I realize you got those from eBay, but I wouldn't deal with a vendor twice that sent out that size cuttings.

Try this: Like others have said, rooting small cuttings in water is hard if not impossible with some varieties. Take a two liter soda bottle and cut it in half. Poke a few drain holes in the bottom. (I use a nail heated with a blowtorch since the very bottom most places are extra thick.) Fill the bottom half with some good fresh potting soil and maybe a little sand mixed in for extra drainage. Wet that and let it drain. Dip your cuttings in rooting hormone and put them into the potting soil. Now put the top half of the bottle back on. (A couple of slits in the side helps.) Place the bottle in the shade leave it alone for a week or so.

The soil should stay moist as the water in the soil is contained in the bottle. (Greenhouse effect.) I have had good luck rooting some things this way. Might work for brugs too.

Another possibility is to use florists foam. My sister uses that to root anything typically considered difficult. Just cut it up into small cubes and soak it in water. Poke a hole in it using a pencil and put the cuttings into the holes. (The hole should be as close to the size of your cutting as possible.) Use rooting hormone here as well. The key here is to keep the foam in a small tray or something and keep water in it. If the foam dries out your cutting will be crushed. I haven't tried this for brug tips either, but it should be better than just water rooting.

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

SJN:Of the 3 cuttings: one was completely hollow; one was soft and slimy bottom half and hollow top half; one was completely soft and "gooey". Not very scientific terminology, but I think most Brug owners know what I mean! :0) Still no response from vender who has long, excellent e-bay feedback. So may just have to chalk it up to lessons learned! But I have so wanted this brug all year! May just spend the $$ on a growing plant.
    TnGt: Many thanks. This is what I usually do for first potting after water rooting. Will certainly try it for thin green cuttings. Too expensive to gamble on their water-rooting, esp. when I have no control over size of cuttings.
    Karyn: Your GREEN THUMB never ceases to amaze me. I had an aunt that could just "stick something in soil" and boy would it grow!!! Bless you. So glad you are in these forums. Thanks for all your advice. Gloria

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I use Oaisis (floral foam) for rooting some cuttings but have never had good results using it for rooting brugs. I'm not sure why but every one I've put in foam rots, even thick woody stems. Weird!
    Karyn

16 years ago

I also use tngreenthumbs pop bottle greenhouse. It adds a little humidity for the little green ones that start drying up from the top down. The only thing I do different is to add a little aquarium charcoal to the bottom of the pop bottle (under the perlite) It prevents any molding etc. Especially on cuttings that take a long time to root (like hibiscus). Bottom heat helps too, if you can. In general I really hate the little green ones. I think you are right in complaining to the vendor.

Karyn,
    I haven't had a lot of luck rooting brugs in floral foam either. But wow the vines and shrubs love it. I am rooting my michelia_skinneriana now and they look like they might actually take this time. Hate trying to root those things
    lol. BTW have you ever tried to germinate Michelia champaca seeds?

• zeta9
    16 years ago

what about putting in an asprin pill? would that help to extend the lifespan of the cutting so that it has time to root?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

SJN does the michelia skinneriana have a wonderful scent? It looks almost like a cross between alba and champaca. I'd successfully rooted a champaca but lost it a year later before it bloomed : ( There's a nursery here that sells mature michelias (5'+) but they are prohibitively expensive.

Zeta9 I've tried using "willow water" on cuttings and hadn't noticed a difference with rooting. I don't know if the greater concentration of salycitic acid in an aspirin might work better. It would be an interesting experiment.
    Karyn

• jeep461
    16 years ago

Lots of good ideas. Keep them coming. Some are just not rootable. From that batch I had from the nursery. I believe I threw all the tips away as they were nothing but problems. On another note I did not know you could cut up tomatoes and root them. I did that just for fun. I now have big tomatoe plants from earlier season plants.

Jim

16 years ago

I never had that much luck with aspirin but only tried it a few times and not on brugs. Rooting hormone may work faster-not sure. I use that alot.
    Jim,
    I have done the tomato rooting thing too. I found out how easily they rooted when our yard flooded one time so the roots in the ground weren't getting oxygen and so the tomatoes started putting roots out all along up its stem. I just cut it off and potted it up in dirt :) Speaking of tomatoes, anyone know what kind the Taco Bell Tomato is? My son found a seed on his wrapper and planted it- lol it sprouted and now he has a 'Taco Bell' mater.

Karyn,
    Michelia skinneriana is a hybrid of michelia_figo but I am not sure of the specifics on the parentage cross or if it is a sport of some type (says hybrid though). OMG the smell in the late afternoon will knock you down but it a good way lol! Bananas and strong vanilla scent. I like the scent better than any plant I have (dont have m_alba or m_champaca though). It is stronger than the regular m_figos I had in Louisiana which were a lighter color of flower as well. Next time I drive over to San Diego, I will look for some m_alba. There are supposed to have a few nurseries over there that carry it and we go quite often.
    I am trying to germinate some champaca and ylang ylang seeds right now. Champacas only have a 40 % germ rate (I'm told). Be awhile before I get flowers on those lol.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I haven't had much luck with the champaca seeds. Even when they germinate they don't do well for me. I still have seeds stored in the fridge but have no idea how long they remain viable. I'm trying Ylang Ylang from seed again. This will be my 3rd try, maybe the 3rd time will be the charm. lol I'd really like to find seeds for the Ylang Ylang vine because the tree can get so big and it supposedly has a very similar scent. The online nursery that I've seen carrying the michelias doesn't have a great rep so I've been hesitant to buy one online. The ones at the local nursery are $450 and that's just too much for my pocket!
    Karyn

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karyn & Dweeb: You have E-mail. Gloria

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Just got it - Thanks! You have a response, also!

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

got it and ditto back! Gloria

• nyssaman
    16 years ago

I have an 82 year old gardening buddy - He just takes the brug cutting and sticks it in dirt and lets nature do its thing - I've seen this guy nursing a plant along most people would think is dead and throw out, then in a couple months the thing is thriving - I gave him a little gingko seedling that the rabbits got to over a winter - So I grew some and gave him another - The original seedling completely vanished - I said "Jim why don't you plant the new one where the old one was" - He said "no it will come back" - for most of the summer there was nothing, now the damn thing is a foot high..lol -

I just stick them in mason jars in water for a week didn't even change the water then when you see the little white nubbies swelling up take them out - I put rooting powder in a zip lock bag roll the cutting end in it then plant up keeping the soil moist but not wet

cheers

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi nyssaman: Thanks, I think I will take a few cuttings when they have nice nubbies and pot them just to see how I do with that method instead of allowing water roots to form. Gloria

• chena
    16 years ago

I have a few ebay cuttings coming I sure hope it isn't the same vendor.. If I get some whimpy green thing I will be pissed...I wouldn't even give tips away..If I knock one off I might stick it in water but at the first sign of mush it's out of here..To much work...
    HUH!! I am stressed about the ebay cuttings now...LOL
    Chena

16 years ago

Has anyone ever laid the little green tips down horizontally in the dirt (like when you do the Hawiian Ti plants) to try to get them to root? I wonder if you covered them up most of the way with dirt if it would help them stay hydrated enough till they grew roots? Think I will try it and see what happens.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I've tried the horizontal rooting with thin tips and it was a total failure for me. I think for that method they really need to be mature stems.
    Karyn

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Sultry:

I saw that technique on Abads (or was it Brug Growers) and was wondering about that. But if Karyn hasn't had success, I'm sure not going to try it.

The other nite - saw they broke a tip off of one of my brugs - plopped it right in the bubbler. It has nubs!

I went to check on it this morning - had a hard time seeing which one it was. I was looking for the sad one. But the little leaves on the top are standing up, and it looks great!

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Just because it hasn't worked for me doesn't mean it won't work at all. lol I certainly think it's worth trying as a last resort to save a cutting. A comment was made on another forum that sounds like a good idea. Have the seller send pics of the actual cuttings that they are offering before you commit to buy. I don't know if all sellers would agrere to it but I'd ask for a pic if I have any concerns about some of the more expensive cuttings. I don't want to spend big $$$ for a skinny green stem that's going to rot.
    Karyn

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Actually, the piece they broke off is SO green, I don't have high hopes for it. But it has nubs! I could probably try that one laying down. It was a rescue anyway.

Looking across the vast ocean of trash with nails. . .and (gasp!). . .a broken Brug!

(da-dada-DAAA!) I will save youuuuuuuuuu!

Ooo. . watch that. . .ow. . .wow, that was close. . .. . .oooh. . .OW!. . .nail right through shoe. . oh man. . . .muuuuuuuust. . . .saaaaaaaaave. . . . . .bruuuuug. . . .lassie. . .get . . .help. . . .

Ok - my age is showing again if anyone remembers that.(grin)

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When I set up the BOB this second time (post rotting episode) I took Jim's advice and added a nice thick layer of aquarium gravel (well rinsed)it is working out very well. I have each cutting taped to a chopstick so I can stick the wooden part into the gravel. This keeps the cutting above the bottom and not touching anything. (I then make a label out of masking tape and put it around the part of the cutting that's not in the water.) The chopsticks keep all the cuttings standing upright (like the good little soldiers they are!) and they are not leaning against each other. Sometimes it seems as tho when they are touching too much they begin to soften;that's how I decided to use the "stick " method similar to what was posted in the VERY original Georgia BOB Method! So far the cuttings are doing fine. Some little bulges-not quite nubbies-but activity happening! Thanks for all the wonderful comments and advice. Gloria

• karyn1
    16 years ago

The gravel sounds like it would work well. My only concern would be having to rinse it if a cutting goes bad in the bucket. I might use it on a smaller scale, maybe a jar with just a few cuttings. Speaking of bubblers DH asked if I was going to have tubing snaking through the DR again. I already have 4 going for other cuttings that I do year round. I think he's dreading that as much as all the plants inside. We won't even talk about the seed mats yet. lol
    Karyn

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

LOL Karyn.

Gloria - that sounds terrific! Knock wood - I was checking this morning - making sure I don't have a "rotting episode" as you call it. (grin)

They all look good - so far so good!

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hope I'm not the only one to confess this, but I visit my Bubbler several times a day, and "check" on the "green sticks" all standing there. Nothing too new to see, but for some reason I get such a good feeling watching these potential beauties standing among the bubbles!!! It's got to be Brugmansia Syndrome!!! But please don't anyone cure me too soon! (:0) Gloria

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Nope - me too!

I mostly do it to make sure nothing has slipped down again, etc.

LOL, Brug syndrome. .that's pretty funny. Just plopped my Tiara in there this morning.

Found the box sitting there this morning - said WHEN did these arrive? Was told yesterday, and your poison is in the garage. Said "it's NOT poison, it's my Anti Stress that I've been waiting for!"

Grrrrrrrr. . . .obviously they're not addicted. . (grin)

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tdweeb: Where on line did you buy the Anti-stress; How much was it; and what is the quantity? Really want to try this instead of Wilt-pruf, I think Jim said they are both more or less the same. Want to see how well my inground and container Brugs will do since they will be outside all year. Gloria

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Gloria

The following is the link Jim had originally posted. It's the one I ordered mine from. You have to call the 1 800 678-7377 number. I ordered the quart size for $9.95 and I think the total with shipping was $17.07.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: To Order Anti-Stress

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Gloria:

I called the 800 number that Mike gave you. They don't have an online ordering mechanism right now. I ordered a gallon of the Anti Stress 2000, a gallon of the Dip, and a gallon of the cleaner.

The dip is really cool. I'm using a 10-1 (I put 10 cups of water and one cup of dip in a monster bowl.)

I still have the bowl there, and was going to do some more today. It's almost like Armor-all for plants. Like "white" water. I was thinking of just using the balance and a sponge on some of the smaller plants.

I've got about 4 that are too small to push dormant - unless I just whack them and put them in the bubbler and throw the pot away. I don't have room to keep them alive unless they're in the bubbler. So they either need to sleep, or go in the bubbler. No in between here.

My concern was I didn't want mites in the house - and didn't want to spread what was outside to all the new cuttings inside.

The instructions say you dip the whole cutting - roots, and dirt, too!

Speaking of. . .I'll run and sneak a peak at everyone in the bubbler - see how they're doing!

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Mike & tdweeb. Will be ordering some of this stuff. Sounds as if Jim really came up with a "good thing." Gloria

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Gloria:

I really hope so. Lately, I was losing my battle here - I was rapidly losing ground. My little "family" was being assaulted and I couldn't stop it. Seperation wasn't even working.

Ok - word for you. Do NOT dip the whole cutting. Even if it dries, it comes off in the water and then floats. It sticks to the cutting. Not a big deal, didn't cause a problem, but gets gummy on the stem.

So I'm only dipping the part that ISN'T going to be in the water. If you get some on the bottom, wipe it off, you'll be ok.

The cuttings (those I've got cause mine are so green) get stripped of leaves - a BATH - wash the buggies off - then they get dipped - dried and plopped in the bubbler. (Thank you Ruth Ann for pointing out not to waste it on leaves that are going!)

That's what I'm doing so far.

Some of these are really large and flopping over. I took a couple of off shoots off the bottoms. Not quite as green. (fingers crossed!)

Wish Jim were around - he could tell me if I'm doing something wrong with the product.

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tdweeb: Thanks for the info re: anti-stress. So far my "chopstick" process is working sooo well, I'm almost afraid to mention it (don't want to tempt the fates!lol) I'm finding that some of the slo-to-nub cuttings get nubbies almost overnite as soon as I move them INTO the bubble stream. That's what's so great about the stick & gravel method; they are easily moved and repositioned and at the same time don't fall over or lay on one another. Still looking at some of my NEED IT or I'LL CRY Brugs on e-Bay, but the prices are even worse than they were a few weeks ago. Kinda takes the fun out of bidding and collecting Brugs, esp. for the beginner who doesn't have cuttings yet to trade. Oh well, back for another look at the BOB! Gloria

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

I'm using a "toothpick" to hold my shorties up on the rack. Stick the toothpick through the name tag tie, prop it on the wire rack up higher. That way, I can raise the water level now at will as I'm adding larger stuff.

IN the bubble stream, huh? Now THAT'S not something I considered. . . .I'll switch 'em around when I get home.

I put the "sorry sad sack tiara" in a bubble stream this morning hoping to perk it back to life.

Re: Prices - oh I know - I flip over, take a look and just shake my head. . .like that goat commercial. . NAH,Nah,nah! (grin)

Checked my BOB at lunch. . I'll check it again as soon as I get home too. . .and again. . (grin) Keeping an eye on those very green tip cuttings.

• jeep461
    16 years ago

Never tried a dip. There is so much moisture from an active bubbler that drying was not a thought. Or maybe I am trying to answer the wrong question. The bubble stream is an optimal place. I guess I will break mine out. I have an o2 tank so I might try a little. I also have some filters but may not use them yet. I like the goat commercial. (big grin) Nothing beats a daily checking of cuttings. It can stop a big problem fast. I even do a daily plant check here in the yard.

My big Plumeria from the MG sale all developed rust. Had to do a 911 on them. I had never seen it before and did not want it to infect the others. I believe we are non contagious today and healthy. Had I not done the daily check I would have missed it. I bubbled a bunch of stuff last year very addicting. Hardwoods to soft plants. PS- never do plumeria just to risky. Kind of like trying it on a cactus.

My NBJ is going crazy there must be 10,000 blooms on my plants. It smells so sweet I see my neighbor sitting outside. Wish I had a big flush of brugs to go with it. Timing is off brugs will happen in the next 7-10 days. Oh well can't have it all.

Jim

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Jim - in this instance - the dip was used for stopping the spread of any "buggies" that I might accidentally bring in so they're not assaulted sitting in the bubbler. Didn't want a mite problem in the house on the new greens in the B-O-B.

That's all I used it for in this instance. Not to mention - winter in Illinois coming. Very dry.

Congrats on the flush coming! That's wonderful! Such wonderful zones!

75* here yesterday - my Brugs have all but stopped now.

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just thought I'd keep you posted on the replacement cuttings of L'Amour. Two seem to be holding their own in the Bubbler ... not quite making nubbies. But one has already softened and I think will fail. The entire length of the cutting is soft and getting mushy. These were a little better than the original ones I rec'd, but I guess still too thin and green. Hoping the other 2 will survive. About 3 days ago placed Bubbler on seed heat mat, but see no difference in any of the cuttings. Other than this failing one, the other cuttings seem ok and the water is still clear and "sweet." Gloria

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks as if another of these cuttings is starting to "mush." This vendor is def. taking cuttings that are too thin and green. Ahh, well, chalk it up to a learning experience. Gloria

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Gloria

Can you email me the vendor - so I'll know not to purchase from them in the future? Seems you're having alot of problems with what they're sending you. I've had great luck with one Ebay seller this past summer. She's great!

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: tctopcat1

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Mike I sent you an email through GW so you might get it or you might not.
    Karyn

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

My cuttings from that vendor are doing ok. Some were 1" and others were very, very small ones.

But they're hangin' in there. I'm keeping a close eye on them.

So far so good from that vendor!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

My tiara is goin' south. It's not going to make it. Trimmed about an inch of mush off it last nite - it's still not doing well.

It's shriveling from the top down.

One of my own very long cuttings that gets long and thin on the top is feeling rubbery also. I left the long green thin on the top. That might be what the problem is.

Should I trim that part off?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH