SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knotz_gw

How much for postage

knotz
15 years ago

How much do you guys usually ask for postage to send brug cuttings??...I just mailed today a box that was just under 2 lbs and it was $7.96 for priority mail...That was for 5 good sized cuttings...Is asking $8.00 for that size too much??

I want to be fair, really...I'm not into it to make ANY money, just want to cover the cost to send them out.

Thanks...knotz

Comments (20)

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with asking for $1 over the actual postage. The boxes might not cost anything but tape and fuel do.

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

of course 8 bucks would be fair! The pkg cost $7.96! you are only asking 4 cents over what it cost. I agree with Karyn, asking $1 maybe even $2, depending on how far the PO is from your house is def fair. Some folks have to travel to their PO's and asking a dollar or 2 for gas doesnt bother anyone here. Me, I'm lucky..the PO is right across the street, lol. SO I guess anyone I ask for postage is lucky as well, I don't have to ask extra, lol. Unless I get killed crossing the busy county road I live on...then I guess its not worth it, lol. If someone doesn't get their pkg from me, that would be the only reason why.

Karyn, you get charged for priority tape?

• Related Discussions

have: seed for postage

Q

Comments (8)
    This offer is now closed. I have gotten the e-mails and gone through the lists for the first five posters: 1.phylrae 2.cybermeowz 3.stlgirl 4.jdbheartease 5.molly_and_me I'm now working on e-mailing you all with more info. Phylrae, the e-mail I sent you bounced back to me with the message "MAILBOX FULL". I will keep trying, but if you don't get my e-mail that is why. I will also e-mail the other people who inquired about the seeds, once I deal with the first five people. Thanks -Molanic
    ...See More

HAVE: Confusion!

Q

Comments (0)
    Due to several emails where people have appeared to be under some misconception that I am offering seeds/don't know what seedlings are/they are free for postage etc, to clarify: I have: seedlings ONLY i.e. seeds that have sprouted and have roots and leaves. I do NOT have: seeds or cuttings What do I want: I HAVE a trade list. Will I sell: I will NOT sell. How much would postage cost: I am *NOT* offering seedlings for free/postage etc etc etc. **If** I decide at a later date to offer these for postage, I will post likewise. But at *this time* they are NOT.
    ...See More

cwnev - slush mugs

Q

Comments (2)
    I think I picked them up for a buck or two. No big deal. They aren't transformers they are Power Rangers. One pink, one red. I will wash it out and test it tomorrow after freezing to make sure they work. My kids never used them. I got them when they were like middle school age. Was looking for someone to give them to, or I was going to take them with tons of other things to thrift store. I just checked them and measured the inside slushy making part... it only freezes 1/2 cup of liquid at a time. You still want them? Good for little kids, but not sure if big enough for bigger kids. I will let you know. I am in NV so will have to check out shipping and will let you know after I see if they work. We can take it to email then. TTYS.
    ...See More

How much postage is toooo much?

Q

Comments (24)
    I dont know if this is helpful or not....if its applicable to this situation....but whenever i order online, i alway google "company name discount coupon code"or "free shipping coupon code". Several sites will come up. Check out the first 3 to 5 links. I'd say 20 to 30% of the time i find codes for 5 to 20% off or a free S&H code. Not always, but it never hurts to try ;-)
    ...See More
  • dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

I charged 6.00. I didn't have that many cuttings to offer this year. They fit in one of those small video mailers.If you accept paypal as postage keep in mind they charge you .47 to use it!

later...April

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I don't have priority tape. I just use regular packing tape. The PO will put priority stickers or tape on the boxes when I drop them off. I sometimes print shipping labels from home but have to take them to the po for mailing. I'm rarely here when the mailman comes. I had something odd happen with Click n Ship yesterday. I printed a couple labels and dropped them off at the PO. Last night I got an email saying that one of the labels was canceled. What was I supposed to do? The package was already at the PO! I emailed USPS and asked what I was supposed to do and why it was canceled and they said maybe I forgot to click something. I don't think so but I kept losing power yesterday so maybe something didn't go thru??? They said to just wait and maybe the package would be delivered anyway and I'd get a postgae due email or the package would be returned. What a PITA.

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

knotz, I think most would give you the rounded up amount it cost for mailing, and some will do even more. Word of warning, if you don't know the person to be a regular here, get the postage first before mailing out the box.

Karyn, that is a PITA. I pretty much do all my priority and flat-rate postage on line. It's easy and all I have to do is take the box to the p.o. and drop it off instead of having to wait in line.

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

O geez, I hope the pkg goes through alright. Maybe it was just some kind of glitch, or due to the power, but whatever happened I hope you don't get charged twice!
    I have all my supplies here, labels, stickers, boxes, tape, that way I can be in and out of the PO real fast just having to pay.
    I never give anything to my mailman personally. I am too worried it'll get lost. Not that he's ever lost anything that I am aware of..I just never gave him the chance, lol.
    Girl, you need to switch to the priority tape..its free! lol!
    Hey, theres a hint for your SS...something Karyn DOESNT have..priority tape, lol!

• pineviewplanter
    15 years ago

I think it would be fair to charge whatever the "Priority Flat Rate" postage is. I mean after all, we are getting these wonderful cuttings that would cost far more if we had to go to Ebay or so to purchase them. So, I will send you enough for Flat Rate...

Or you know my friends... I know none of us wants to make a profit on the Brugs, or we would be selling them all on Ebay or Etsy or someplace else... so why not just make it a regular flat rate of $10 for a shipment of multiple cuttngs. That way your shipping materials are covered, gasoline to take them to the post office, and your postage. It is just a thought.. eh?

I am now just in the beginning stages of growing brugs and have a ton of things to learn... and I am perfectly willing to send whatever it takes to see that the sender does not end up spending money in order to be a generous giver...

What do you think of that idea?

Carolyn

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

Carolyn, alot of times regular priority rate is alot cheaper then sending flat rate. (and it's still 2 days to get there. But it depends on where you are shipping to. I can send an 7lb box reg priority for about $5-$6. I would rather give someone the cheaper priority rate than charge them double with a flat rate. I always take my pkg to the PO and find out which is cheaper.
    Keep in mind that some boxes you get from the PO are only flat rate, and can be way more expensive to ship. while other boxes you have the option of flat rate or reg rate. I never get the flat rate boxes, as even with the reg priority boxes you have the choice to send flat rate or reg.

I don't like the idea of flat rate of $10 to send cuttings or whatever to people. You can send a good amount of cuttings reg priority rate for just $3. Again, though it depends on where you are shipping to. If it is in your tristate area, it is alot cheaper. If it has to go on a plane then they charge you a balloon rate for how much space it takes up on the plane. The bigger the box, the more you will pay on op of reg priority mail charges.

• pineviewplanter
    15 years ago

Oh, I understand... I just thought it cost a lot more than that.. and I would hate for you generous folks to end up paying more than you receive for the postage...

Carolyn

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

Forgot to say that sometimes it can be cheaper to send flat rate, its all depends on the weight, if its really heavy its worth it..thats why I get it checked out first, see which is cheaper, then do that one.

• ladylotus
    15 years ago

I'm curious what everyone else does. I've not received plants/cutting prior to some of the offers made here for Brug cuttings so I really don't know what proper etiquette is.

Do most of you send extra money? I have been if they are requesting money. If they are asking for a stamp I was a little frazzled as I had not done that before and sent stamps and forgot to tuck in some extra cash.

I appeciate the extra time it takes to send things in the mail. I have sent plants to friends in NH quite frequently and it is time consuming not to mention the gas to drive into town to mail them. I agree with Carolyn I want to make sure to adequately reimb those who are so generously spending their precious time to send these cuttings out. NOT to mention plants they probably purchased.

I'm curious what everyones thoughts are regarding this?

I'm OBSESSED with propagating things and so the offer of cuttings is just too enticing for me to ignore...OMG...it's awful. My greenhouse is PACKED with cuttings, roses, grapes, trees, perennials, annuals etc etc. It is a HORRIBLE addiction. Growing plants is fun...but progating pushes me over the edge of normalcy...oh my!

Thanks.
    ~Tj~

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

How do you get the boxes for free? You have to pay for the ones my PO has. I bought one of the video boxes but it was too small so I use the scotch3M shipping boxes from walmart or reuse on that someone sent me cuttings in. Also, do you get the priority tape at the PO? I never shipped alot before this year so I am kind of just figuring all the different ways out. The packages I've sent out so far have all been under $7 sent prioroty mail with a tracking #. These were all trades, but if you were sending for postage I would think it was fine to ask for $1 or 2 more to make sure you don't lose $ if it costs a little more and also to compensate you for the fuel and time it takes to pack the box, because it does take a lot of time! I woulkd also recommend asking for postage before you send if it is not a reg. poster because there have been problems in the past with people not getting their money. Overall I think trading and getting/sending brugs for postage has been a positive experience for most of us, it is nice to be able to build your collection so cheaply.
    Shawn

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

For those that don't know, online, you can print the postage, address to the person, your return address, and a confirmation number on regular 8 1/2x 11" xerox paper. You then tape this on to your box; keep the half that will be like your receipt. Postage is cheaper and you get a free confirmation number, not to mention that all you have to do is drop off the box in the p.o. without having to stand in line. I believe you can also order free boxes online and even have them picked up from your home, but I live close by a p.o. so don't need to do this.

I bought a scale at Target so I could do postage from home. I weigh the box and plants/cuttings together to get an idea how much it will cost, get on the post office website (www.usps.com)and calculate how much it would cost for me to mail out, whether priority is cheaper or flat-rate. Then, I'll box up in whichever box I need, i.e., priority or flat-rate.

Shawn, I get the priority and flat-rate boxes free when I go to the post office. Here, they have a display with the boxes where we can just pick them up, but if you don't, ask your p.o. as sometimes they keep them in the back. These are printed priority or flat-rate and you do not need priority tape on them when using this boxes. I also recycle boxes sent to me sometimes.

To answer the question on how much postage, I don't ask for extra.

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

Shawn, I just go to the PO and ask for them.
    You can also go onto the USPS website, and order them..the mailman will deliver them to your door. I have attached the link to go to the page for the free priority boxes. You can get the labels and everything on there.

Here is a link that might be useful: free priority boxes

• wildflower
    15 years ago

If you go to usps.com you can order proiority boxes for free and they deliver them to your door. Pick up some digital scales somewhere ($15-20) and you'll never have to leave your house! When you schedule a pick up (also at usps.com) you leave instructions for your postal carrier as to where your packages will be. They pick up the next day for free and you do not have to be home. If you have everyone pay for postage thru paypal then you pay for the postage right out of the $'s they sent. I do add in $1 for the paypal fee which always varies depending on the amount they've sent.

What I've been doing is weighing up the boxes of cuttings, e-mailing people (request for $'s thru paypal) with the exact postage they need to pay + $1 for the paypal fee. That way nobody is paying more than they should for postage.

There have been a couple of people in the past that have sent me extra $'s for postage. I know who you are. I don't forget stuff like that and you are always welcome to any plants I have for postage...

• knotz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys SO much for your input...I'm sure we all don't have that "extra" money to put out for trades...All the extra you pay does add up, but it happens sometimes.

The cost to mail the package depends on weight and where it's going...I guess you just have to figure it out before you mail, estimate and ask the person for a certain amount for postage.

I would feel really bad if someone thought I was "overcharging" or asking too much...I would never do that on purpose.

Trading cuttings FOR other cuttings or plants is another story...No problems with postage costs there.

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

knotz, for me its easy as I can just run across the street to find out how much a pkg will cost to ship, then run home, send an email, and go back across the street when ready. But, like it has been said. The regulars here we know already are trustworthy to send the money, so you can send it out and then let them know how much $ to send...but others you havent dealt with before, it is good to get the money first then send..just in case.
    If you have a scale, you can figure it all out at home, without running back and forth. Some people do the flat rate just cuz its easier in that perspective..they dont have a scale, and dont wanna run back and forth. And they already know how much the cost will be.
    You can guesstimate the postage, but then you might be losing money.

lol, I don't think anyone has "extra" money right now. Alot dont even have enuf let alone extra.

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Knotz, something I liked that someone did for me, was said to mail them a certain amount of money..then when they realized the cost was a lot less, they just added the difference to my box..

I dont think anyone would ever be upset about what you are asking, I know how much I appreciate people sharing with me, cause I dont have much money..and feel that with the little I have to use for plants, Is much better used taking up an offer for postage, then going to ebay and buying.

I beleive if you do ask for a bit more, people should know that it takes a lot of time, and effort, and supplies ..

• chena
    15 years ago

I have sent out loads of packages.. If I am not trading I try to send extra becoz the whole process is a PITA!!
    Making sure they are packaged well enough to arrive in good shape.. which is a whole nother thing..LOL I have recieved in trade some things on their last leg due to not being packaged properly... As for the postage I don't ask for more than it cost (not that I think that is wrong to get a couple of $$ extra) and if it is someone I know just let them know how much after I have been to the PO.. My PO is about 20 min one way.. BUT then what isn't..lmao..
    Just treat everyone the way you would like to be treated and it usually works out...
    Kylie

• karyn1
    15 years ago

The flat rate boxes that you need for brug cuttings are $12.95. It used to be $8.65 but the rates changed about a year ago. Now the tiny flat rate boxes are $8 something. Depending on where you are sending them and the weight of the box sometimes that's the best rate and other times it isn't. The boxes I've been sending range anywhere from 2.5 to almost 5 LB.