SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naikii_gw

Swallowtail butterfly caterpillars

naikii
11 years ago

Hi all, I have a young orange tree which I planted into the ground around Jan (mid-summer here in Aus) recently I have noticed some small caterpillars on several of the leaves, and after a little googling I believe them to be Orchard Swallowtail Butterfly larvae. The caterpillars donâÂÂt look exactly like the pictures I see online, but quite similar, and I have seen some very large black butterflies around, and as far as butterflies go they are quite magnificent.

So I am a little torn now between my hate for caterpillars eating my plants, and my like for the adult butterflies.

What sort of damage will the caterpillars do to my young orange tree, should I let them be?

Also they look slightly reminiscent of a caterpillar we used to get on our gumtrees as a kid, which my parents called native spitfires (which I believe now to be mottled cup moth caterpillars) and which after collecting a bunch off of the trees once as a child I realised that there was a reason my parents called them spitfires! Will the citrus caterpillars sting if they are touched as well?

Cheers!

Comments (2)