SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cactusmcharris

So What's the Deciding Factor in Crassula ovata Growth?

Is it lack of heat?

Is it cool of night?

Is it other beneficial factors (water, food, room and proper soil to grow, light, warmth, etc.)?

The reason I ask is many of you learned Crassula folks have written that Crassula ovata goes dormant during the heat of the summer. Perhaps because we've had an unusual summer (less hot than usual, but in the last weeks temperatures have been consistently above 20C/70F during the day, often 5C/10F degrees more than that, and I am experiencing opulent growth on my regular and variegated Crassula ovata plants. Some pictures of the aforementioned growth are below. Perhaps this growth is due to the fact that our warmer nights are lacking this year, or it's not gotten as hot as it usually does, but these plants are puttin' on the Ritz like they're in show business, which, in a sense, I guess they are.

Here's a cutting that had been rooted and put into a bed for the summer - it will come out in the fall:

{{gwi:588177}}

Here's the Crassula ovata plant which was severely whacked twice this winter/early spring and is as plump as a kitty's belly:

{{gwi:588179}}

and a closeup of one of the plant's limbs:

{{gwi:588181}}

I think it needs to get whacked again. What do you think?

Here's the C.o. 'Hobbit' or 'Hobbit' mix which is also putting on new growth:

{{gwi:588183}}

I've also two cuttings of variegated C.o. which are putting on new growth, even though one of them is growing in constrained circumstances in a bonsai pot.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations