SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicgirl_gw

OT pics: Pride of Barbados

tropicgirl
15 years ago

I found this sweet little tree at HD. I've had it for about a month. It brought back childhood memories of the mimosa tree we had in the front yard. This is a Pride of Barbados (Caesalpinia pulcherrima) and it has some delicate red and yellow blooms. It does produce the same sort of seed pods as the mimosa. It also has painless soft thorns.

Since I am new to this plant I can't tell you much other than the typical information you get on the plant tag. I did talk to a gentleman picking up a couple for himself and I asked him about them. He said he planted one last year and it did well. He didn't do anything special to it. It dies back in the winter but will come back in the spring. Said his neighbor has one that's about 8 ft tall. So it sounded like something I could maybe keep alive. LOL I have mine in a container because I have to be careful of roots around our pool. I figure I will over winterize it in the garage this year. I will keep it in a container for a couple of years to watch the root growth and if it isn't too aggressive I would like to plant it in the ground.

Some Information:

Grows 5' - 10'

Full sun and is drought resistant

Cold Hardiness: 10 - 20 F

Blooms through out the summer

And it attracts hummingbirds and butterflies

Here are some Pics:

{{gwi:555047}}

{{gwi:555048}}

{{gwi:555049}}

{{gwi:555050}}

{{gwi:555051}}