SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

Advice on pruning these brugs & do they look healthier?

lovetogrowflowers
14 years ago

First off, excuse my messy yard with all the weeds and all. Lawnmower broke and weed-eater as well. Just my luck.

I am still learning and have decided not to cut these back this year unless told otherwise. Here are some pictures I posted awhile back when I first purchased these. I hope you'll look at the link because I would also like to know if they seem to look healthier to you compared to the new pictures posted below.

Link to old pictures

I have been watering and fertilizing about once a week thus far with Miracle Gro, plus we've been having some rain as well. I have only watered once with Ironite and with Epsom Salt and that was about 3 weeks ago.

My question is actually about pruning. On one of the pictures below I see that I have 4 main branches and no v's, while on the other photo it only has two, what I would call main branches. I don't understand about lateral branches and all that. I do know that I want more branches and more V's.

On the one with two main branches (by the wooden fence) I think there is 3-4 v's up top. I'm confusing myself *LOL*. Maybe just by looking at the pictures you can help me. I'm probably talking out of my butt :). What and where do I cut to make new branches when I do decide to do so? What makes a prettier plant, tree form or bush?

The taller one, close to the wooden fence seems more like tree form. I like it, but want more main branches. It also seems healthier, the foliage looks better, but I'm trying my best to care for them as much as I can.

My being new to these, I have decided not to prune, but if you all think I should I will. I have room once I put these in the ground next season not to prune, but maybe I should to promote more branching and v's. If I don't prune what type of brug will I have? *LOL* I'm so dumb. Hope you can help as always.

Also, do they look healthier than the before pictures on the link above

{{gwi:555034}}
{{gwi:555035}}
{{gwi:555036}}
{{gwi:555037}}
{{gwi:555038}}
{{gwi:555039}}
{{gwi:555040}}
{{gwi:555041}}
{{gwi:555042}}

Comments (2)