SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

What should I do with my brugs? Need advice quick.

lovetogrowflowers
14 years ago

I posted a few weeks ago about 3 brugs in bad shape, with curling leaves. The curling leaves still happen on 2 of them, but I think they may be getting better. It's mainly top leaves that do this. My previous post in case you want to check it

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/brug/msg081108293016.html

Anyway, my reason for posting is I have neglected them so far. Meaning I have been so busy and have only had time to get one of them in the ground. I was advised by Ruth Ann to get them in the ground quick back on August 13th. Only one was planted around that time. The other two are in the containers that I purchased them in. Maybe 3-5 gallon. They seem to be doing well though. My question is since it is already September should I wait to put these in the ground?

I just don't know what to do with them. I have room for them inside for winter, but since I read they do well in zone 8 outside, I was wondering if I could leave them outside on my carport during the winter?

My other option is to bring them inside and continue to care for them year round. What will give me the best results for preparing them for in ground in April 2010? Leaving them outside or caring for them inside during the winter?

1. If I bring them in, how often should I water and fertilize?

2. If I leave them out they should go dormant, and how often should I water and fertilize?

3. Are they going to be okay in these containers through the winter?

4. Is is really to late to put them in the ground? If yes, please advise me on which would be best, outside on carport or inside? If it's not to late I have time to put them in the ground today.

By the way, I did get a very beautiful bloom on one of them. It was white. I should have taken a picture, but it has died already. I also prefer the bushy shape rather than tree shape I guess. Not sure how to train it though.

Comments (92)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Smurfy, I do hope you realize that several of the people that have responded to your comments are hybridizers.

I hope you find your happy place soon!

Pam

• vaskirt
    14 years ago

My main problem on taking them in is the Aphids ! When I put them in the basement.. OMG they get an inch deep on them. The only way to get rid of them is to wait and let the leaves fall off and the Aphids on them ... lol I'll just do my way, and it works for me. If you have a handful to worry about, that's one thing, but when you have hundreds... well, that's another thing.

• Related Discussions

Need advice badly! What should I do about my countertop?

Q

Comments (88)
    So glad that the OP posted and that everyone else commented. Am just at the beginning of a huge remodel. My first. In the past I've only bought houses that were "ready to go" or "good enough" and did not even imagine that I would be able to go to the fabricators and "OK" the slab before cutting. This lurking on websites is part of my research, so thanks to all who gave me some good stuff to read and learn. I have put "see slab at fabricators" in my "countertop" file front-and-center to make sure I don't forget to do that, whether I purchase quartz or granite. This is extremely helpful information for newbies. FWIW--the blob was hideous, mostly because it was not conforming to the rest of the counter top pattern. Blobs in other patterns/styles look "fine" because the slab is full of them...and that is the POINT of that particular slab. not with this one though...it was not conforming in size or frequency.
    ...See More

Need quick advice please - does 4 ton sound right for my house?

Q

Comments (21)
    tigerdunes - I have the model #s so I'm hoping you can help. First I should mention my guy contacts me today and says he can get me a better unit that is HE that comes with a rebate ranging from $300-$700. This new set up is $1000 more (So 4950 total less the rebate). Below are the model numbers. I'm googling them and I'm confused because he told me the new set up would be 96% efficient as opposed to 80% (which is what he org quoted) but the model #s bring up info online that shows 80%. Please help. This stuff is sitting in my garage. Goodman GSX130481 Goodman GMS81005CN Goodman CAPF4860C6
    ...See More

I need advice! What should I do with my knotty pine and brick?

Q

Comments (19)
    It would be helpful to see pics of the opposite wall with painted white brick and more of the room. Your mirrors & light gray furniture give impression you are craving light. Suggestion: First, clean the paneling well & paint out or replace the fireplace insert black to match other accessories & make it less prominent. Then, decide if the paneling is too dark or wrong color to work with furniture + rest of the house & same with brick. It seems like remaining decisions, e.g. paint paneling or replace with drywall, paint brick or reface, add mantle, add bookshelves, etc. will depend on your budget.
    ...See More

What should I do with this room? Need advice!!

Q

Comments (8)
    Too much of a good thing. Not a good idea to get rid of the rug and add a wood plank look floor on top of the wood walls and ceiling. I would leave the carpet, and maybe get something interesting as an area rug to put on top for grouping around the fireplace if you really, really need something else on the floor. I have that set up in my family room, works fine and is great in cold winter on feet. I'd paint the walls or ceilings but not both. Why pay all that money for real wood and then not enjoy it at least a little. A little you might enjoy, it's just too much right now . . . And cuddle up with your furniture placement!! Do you like monochrome? If not, add some pops of color . . . if you like monochrome, then add some variations of natural colors with natural materials like metal and woven materials and some fabrics . . . something to contrast against all that wood . . .
    ...See More
  • rialira
    14 years ago

I've held my proverbial tongue until now, but... damn. someone's gotta say it a little more strongly.

smurf, I really don't think you understand who you're talking to here, or have any idea what you're talking about either.

you showed us pictures of a small handful of even smaller plants. I don't think you realize that most of the people on here have HUNDREDS of _large_ brugs. I myself have a comparatively _tiny_ collection, maybe a dozen 10+ foot tall plants and a dozen more smaller plants, and even I have NO way to overwinter them properly. back when I only had two brugs and they were small, I overwintered them in a south facing window and was even rewarded with a bloom or two in november. but it's so much easier and, more importantly, so much healthier for the plants (with a few exceptions) to just let them go dormant - the indoor growth on the plants is brittle and weak no matter how much you supplement with natural light and will burn in the sun and break in the wind when the plants are brought back outside.

and to tell us about how hybridizers feel? you're TALKING to some. I also wanted to point out (scornfully and contemptuously) that there's a big difference between years of first-hand experience and reading something "on a dozen websites." you're coming from a very ill informed standpoint, and you need to back off, take some deep breaths, and stop telling the experts their business.

maybe stick around (quietly, and without begging for cuttings, because no one's going to share with a brat anyway) and learn a thing or two, and gain a few more years experience with these amazing plants, before you go picking another fight with one of the most respected members here.

understand?

• lon2250
    14 years ago

Hope I don't get a kick in the butt for my 2 cense, But I agree. I am also new. And one of the first things I like to do is read and reply to posts and threads.Kind of get to know everyone. Everywere I turn, there he is, not just tearring Karyn down but also saying very rude things to others and asking for Brugs and cuttings. If you are going to ask for something ,you don't bite the hand you're going to ask first.I dont know Karyn, I just met her. I am hopeing to though,and others here as well. What Smurfy said to her and to others in this thread alone ,made me feel insulted. We don't run out and kill our plants for the fun of it. (Which ,IMO, is what he was saying we do) Nor do we tell others because their plants have died ,they don't deserve them. If you have a different opinion than others about something ,you discuse it and calmly try to give facts to support your side. You don't make rude comments and tell eveyone they are wrong. I could go on but I won't for the sake of at least alittle peace.

Sorry for being so long winded, and again I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes. I don't like seeing my friends hurt (or angry). Well I have got to go to bed now, it's after midnight were I am. I have kids to get up for school in the morning. Good night.

• lon2250
    14 years ago

Sorry Ingrid, I didn't see your post till after I posted mine. lol! ( Took me awhile to wright it, I tend to be a deep thinker.) I'm not tying to keep the fight up, just vent some frustration. It's like a BIG family at ThanksGiving, someone's always at each others throat. But in the end we still care, and after we have knocked each other around a little the fights over. At least in my family.Well, night all.

• haase
    14 years ago

Welcome to the forum, lon2250, and thanks for your input.I'm fairly new myself. You will like it here. This is the first time I've ever seen a post that ended up like this. All the people I've met here are very nice, and kind, and helpful.

By the way, your birthday is the same day as mine.
    Ingrid.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

If ANYBODY can write something and be misunderstood...it is me in this forum. Right friends?

Ingrid I am one who sometimes says things, especially when I don't feel right and can't think straight....I get a response or mail asking me WHAT I mean or if I really meant that. Going back and re reading it, I SEE that it could mean something not so nice to others....but that was not my intention.

Everyone here is waiting a long time before we actually say something. Because we DO WANT TO KEEP THE PEACE HERE.

Because this is a special place for old timers AND newbies if they want to learn about brugs. Need help or questions answered. At least that is why I JOINED. I had NO IDEA that there was sharing going on. I have yet to get into a TRADE lol These are the most generous folks here.

But I would have never ever demanded cuttings...especially special cuttings or what smurfy does, cuttings from plants were no cuttings are even offered.

Trust me everyone...we have better things to do, then THIS!!!That is NOT why we are here and it ruins everyones days.

I did a search on smurfy's name here on GW yesterday. go ahead. Do it too. You will see that everywhere smurfy shows up, he or she knows everything BETTER and there is no...I believe it could be like that or this. NO, it is like....THIS IS HOW IT IS AND THAT IS IT!!

Barb and April, did you ever get the shredded white cutting you ask smurfy for? Now that is something that I really like to know. Has anybody ever gotten anything from smurfy?

There are so many folks here that have been burned real badly with TREADES...never getting their end of the bargain. Who is to say if smurfy would keep her his end?

I paid over a 100 Dollars online for Hibiscus' at a great looking site that was just a scam. ANYBODY can put together a trade list!!!

Best of all I like to bring up the past.

The OLDIES...and no offense PLEASE...we DO HAVE LOTS OF THEM HERE rofl...Welcome Vic lol....ok back on track now.

The Oldies can tell you that I did a very stupid thing when I joined. Being a newbie to garden forums...brugs...just getting back into english...man I DID IT! Was absent for a while until Kristy kept on saying, come on back...misunderstandings happen.

Well here I am folks!!

Besides I just like to add that smurfy is sending my messages I write to my e mail address. WHAT A THING IS THAT TO DO?

I do not know your age smurfy. Never matters to me. I tread everyone the same. With respect.

I do not know your gender....Never matters either. To me you are a person who found your way to this forum and that is all that matters to me.

I do not know your race....for I do not see color. I see the person INSIDE of the shell we live in.

I do not see your religion....it does not matter if you believe or not. Or what your believes are.

Ok that is it...I got to do my POTD. Which the last part would have been a GREAT THOUGHT of the day lol

lovetogrowflowers, please just start a new thread if you like to just have FUN. THIS>...this could have started ANYWHERE! Has nothing to do with YOU. Just that smurfy decided to attack Karyn HERE and being a peace loving person I can say that it was a attack. ON ALL MEMBERS.

Lucy

• haitidoc
    14 years ago

Clearly this string has gone on a bit long perhaps, but one must admit it is an interesting discussion and tells a lot about human personalities. Some people are outraged when they hear of people eating dogs or cats but happily eat cows and chickens. A little respect for other peoples outrage would be appropriate. A lot less outrage would be even more appropriate. Poor Smurfy is outraged at anyone killing a brug and responded rather strongly and perhaps smuggly.

When in practice (surgical), I always enjoyed the difficult patient. My goal was to refrain from responding in kind and to try to turn the person around. It is a lot more fun doing that than giving the difficult person control over your emotions.

Do all things in love and respect, even to the apparently obnoxious. Especially if that person is a plant lover and a gardener. I've often found the most cantankerous person to be a great person inside his/her protective shell.
    Vic

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Vic you truly speak exactly what is in my heart and I believe everyone here can tell you that I would not hurt a fly.

I truly think that you must have a totally different outlook on life, when you know how precious each moment is and that there are more important things in life.

We all have our things going on outside of this forum.

But when coming here, like mentioned before...we want to know that everyone here enjoys each others company. Like Mike said..we are more like a family..who adopts gladly new members into it.

Why has smurfy not tried to become part of this forum, by just being polite. Saying Hi..how are ya. What's your REAL name? What kind of brugs do you have and how do YOU handle them?

Really Vic, we know folks and we can tell them apart from the ones that just come and want to get as much plants as they can and we never see them again. Usually we just wait and see if they DO stick around. But fools we are not! There are way to many newbies and OLDIES who get the first dips on cuttings. But when smurfy, ok lets say this nicely....when smurfy *questions* EVERYTHING that is said here and in other forums about the knowledge of brugs etc. That is taking it to far in the wrong tone.

You have no idea how much I want this thread just to stop and now that we all know about it...it might not be a good idea if it is just taken off the forum. I agree. Enough is enough.

I did however come in here to post something. BEFORE I read your message.

While watering it came to me that I am a serial killer! 1st year with brug cuttings last winter and I killed em all :-( My heart was broken and to this day I feel so bad that I killed (yes I did kill them because I did not know that my garage was not warm enough) all the cuttings that these wonderful wonderful folks here shared with me. And I was a newbie myself last year!!!!

Oh and Vic, it is not that smurfy LOVES his or her brugs as much as we love our children. But we are not sitting quietly and letting anybody tell us we do not love our brugs as much as smurfy does.

I do however love the way you see the possible positive side in things.

Your input surely calmed me down and it really is done for me. Smurfy has not said anything lately. We still do not know if we are talking to a he or she. As long as smurfy knows that I do not appreciate the spam mails...all is good.

I hardly have time for mails and especially the ones that make no sense what so ever.

have a wonderful day EVERYONE!

I am going back outside and water and PRAY!

See the beauty is...I can mention praying and God and there are members who have different believes.

It just is on HOW I or others do it. Not FORCING it on others is the CLUE!!!

Lucy

• smurfy_grower
    14 years ago

I'm not trying to make people mad. I just think its sad for people to leave a beautiful brug out in the cold. No other plant I have ever seen is as magnificent, and heavenly as a brug in bloom. My motto is if I can't keep it inside in the winter I don't need it, but if you can keep it alive with no heat in the winter that good.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Smurfy now there you go. In my mind this is such a nicer way to express how you feel about brugs. If you listen on what we all do for ours...you will see that we pamper them more then any other plants we have. Ok I added a few favs this year rofl.

My whole yard is full with gorgeous plants. What if all your brugs get killed by Hurricane Ike? It is just NATURE taking its course. If I would plant only native plants...yes I might have beautiful plants...but oh my...I need that vacation feeling a LOT lol
    For example, take the Plumeria's I fell in love with. They totally go dormant in the winter and they reward you with extreme growth come spring. Those Plants that we have to protect from freezing...have gotten used to growing in other climates. They are breeding them to FIT OUT climate better.

No one wants to change how you feel about these gorgeous plants. All we are asking is that you realize that our angels get the best care and love from us also.

Lucy

Smurfy a lot of us grow EXTRA Plants...just so we can share too.

• smurfy_grower
    14 years ago

Well if I knew a hurricane was coming to my town, and I can't dig my brugs, i'll be cutting them and putting them in water. Then cuss cause my house was blown away. I'd get my plants, clothes, and pets. I think I'm going to stick to cactus and brugmansias. I got a double pink and sunsport brug on ebay, i'm praying I actually get my plants. I've been burned a lot on ebay and nothing was done. I don't trust that website but the man selling them has thousands of feedback and 100% good.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Smurfy I believe that the folks that did get caught in IKE and lost all their brugs and so much more...are just happy they got away with their lives.

If you are being evacuated...there is no way you take PLANTS. In your case it might end up being painful with cactus' lol

To make sure that folks you buy brugs from...you can find out BEFORE you buy if it is a good and trusted seller. many Places.

HERE is one good place for example. We all know the good and bad sellers. Most of em at least.

Dave's Garden also has a watch Dog and you can read up on who is good and who not.

there are a lot of GREAT e bay sellers. Sometimes we have to get burned first in order to be more cautious.

Who are you buying from and what is it you are buying?

Lucy

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Smurfy why couldn't you have just expressed yourself that that in the beginning? There would have been no hard feelings.

• lon2250
    14 years ago

Ingrid, lon (Lonny) is my huby. His birthday is in Feb. :-) Mine is Nov 2. Since his stroke Lonny can't type or read well so I get to do ALL the research (and gabbing lol!) Does the chiwadogs in your email address mean you have chiwawass?( spelling ?) We do 3 of them. I will post pics if you would like to see them.

Kim

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Kim is a Chiwawa the same as a Chihuahua? The little dinky dog? By all means post pics. We've all posted pics of our furbaby's. As you might have noticed we pretty much post pics of everything on this forum, not just brugs. lol

• rialira
    14 years ago

I just came back to ROFL at "little dinky dog." karyn, my fondness for you is unending XD

also, it's irrelevant now, but whoops! definitely meant artificial light :P

glad to see things have settled down a little!

Ria

• smurfy_grower
    14 years ago

Lucy, I got a sunsport brug from eddiedewayne, who mostly sells brugs, and got a double pink one from 7servant7 (hope I got those right). I'm going to read up on double brugs and see what colors are out there.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

oh smurfy...EDDIE is a very reliable seller but everyone stays away from 7servant7 because it never turns out to be what you bought :-(

If you go to BGI the have a Gallery...so do we of course and I know so many members have kept it up with all the brugs they have.

You can go over to Eddie's WorldofBrumansia (hope I got that right) and he even has a shop there.

I KNOW that everyone can give you lots more hints from whom you can buy without worrying that you loose your money by getting the wrong stuff. But since I told myself that I am not buying any new brugs right now...I kind of not pay attention to all sellers.

Lucy

• rialira
    14 years ago

we know who eddie is :P he's actually a member of this forum, and very reputable. as for the other guy... well good luck with that, if you do a quick search for his name on this forum you'll find some pretty damning stuff.

• haase
    14 years ago

Oh please, there's nothing dinky about a chihuahua. They are the most lovable creatures, and they try hard to please their owner, they want to do everything right.(And yes, my email address means chihuahua-dogs.)
    I've had Spaniels and German Shephards in my life before,and I loved them all, but the two little chiwadogs were my best friends. They were Lucy and Carly (Sorry Texas Lucy, but I named them before I knew you, hahaha).
    I had them for 16 years, they were my best friends.
    And darn it, now I put that piece of paper someplace where I can't find it - the one that tells me how to post a picture. Eh, I'll find it eventually.

Kim, Yessss, please post a pic of your chiwadogs!!!! I can't wait!!
    Ingrid.

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Don't feel bad I have one we named after we Lucy for her but here whole name is Lucy Lou, lol. I will not bring up anything about the comments other than someone needs to change his name to grumpy smurf. I will be much happier when the day comes I can plant all of mine except for a picky few that will go in the greenhouse or garage for the winter. They do come back and much bigger and better than the ones I work so hard to keep in the house all year and if not mealy bugs on them its aphids or fungus gnats. Glad you don't have so many bugs where you live. We have enough for everyone and Karyn is the most knowledgeable person on here and who I go to for advice on all plants. If what you do works great but if you run into a problem don't look for her to help after how you talked to her. None of us appreciates it. Welcome to the new folks. Haven't had much time on here lately. Haitidoc I am so sorry for your diagnosis but we bunch of fruit cakes also don't mind sending prayers for you if you don't mind and have been known to have a few miracles happen so I will add you to my list if you don't mind. Karyn I am so sorry just couldn't keep my mouth shut even though I tried. You have been too good to all of us on here to be talked to like that. Makes me want to go throw one of mine over the railroad tracks thats been behaving badly teheeee its a nice double too. Do you think it will scream as the train gets closer?

• sibhskylvr
    14 years ago

Kristy

I can hear the shreiks from the poor 'wittle' double Brug as the engine draws closer!

Mike

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Kristy the brug police are going to come after us. Me for not watering that poor thing in the garage and you for brugicide, in the first degree, I might add. lol

• lon2250
    14 years ago

I like fruit cake. lol.

Yes Chihuahua. Ok, so I can't spell. :-p They may be dinky, but they have BIG hearts.

Brug Police ? uh oh....*runs to go hide the Tombstone*

• karyn1
    14 years ago

OMG someone else likes fruitcake. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I like it too. lol

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

See, I thought that I was the only one that liked fruitcake. My husband just gags when I have some ;-) My Gram used to coil a wick on top of the whole fruitcake and soak it with 151 rum. Mmmmm ;-)

Pam

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Pam,

I love a good fruitcake, too. The rum idea sounds great. 151 rum? yummy. My husband also likes fruitcake. I make it with dried, instead of candied, fruit. It's almost time to start soaking the fruit. Maybe I'll try rum this year.

Shirley

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Most definitely needs to be soaked in rum or brandy for a long time. lol

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

That a YES here too!
    I Like fruitcake! And not afraid to admit it! LOL
    Dorothy

• haase
    14 years ago

Dear "lovetogrowflowers"!
    As of this moment, there are 80 follow-ups to your post and question on what you should do with your brugs.
    I am positive that you have found a lot of information in a wide spectrum of subjects, from plants, to insults, to fur-babies, ending in fruitcake with rum.

I would be fascinated to find out, which advice you picked, and how your brugs ended up being taken care of. Maybe a little rum in their water would do them some good, too?

Ingrid.

• lon2250
    14 years ago

Lonny just wants the Rum and Brandy. He says we can keep the fruitcakes. LOL!!!!

Kim

• sekhment
    14 years ago

You guys are all crazy in a good way, and I love you all. lol I'm getting to know you all and I love everyone.
    I just read all this I dont know how I didnÂt see it before, it is 1:30 am and so I'm super tired. I know sometimes we type one thing and think another thinking we typed what we thought or thought most people understood what we typed,(almost lost myself loll)
    I got my very first burg from smurfy they were awesome, and he was super fast sending them. I feel really bad that I over watered them,but I still cross my fingers and maybe they can pull thru. IÂm not condoning or taking sides. I just wanted to say he sent me 2 burg cuttings I sent him a voodoo plant and a bat plant seedling. And when we emailed each other I told him about a problem I was having, with another member that never sent me burg cuttings, and I sent her plants two different times, and spent in all around 35$ and another price was my poor cut up plants, along with my feeling bad I thought she didnÂt get what I had promised her. Anyhow he totally found her and stuck up for me on the rate & Review fourm ( I'm so new I didn't even know there was one). Until I could get the gumption to do it myself.
    So I guess Make Love Not War lol
    You all at this forum have welcomed me with open arms, and I hope I donÂt offend any one with this post or burn any bridges, that is not my intention. I hope to become and active member and help others the way you have all helped me.
    Thanks
    Cassie

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Cassie it is great to her from you that smurfy has done real good for you! Now we know that smurfy is a HE lol

I for one love it when as many folks as possible put in THEIR experiences and knowledge. Even correcting you when you have something wrong...but there is a polite way and a wrong way that just does not want you to see someones name in a thread. Because you already know that the message is always the same...my way or no way

But smurfy you have been really getting better in the ways you are taking part.

Lucy

• ruth_ann
    14 years ago

I am away on vacation and just checking in.
    I have been growing Brugmmansia for close to 15 years. Some years I have had over 50 plants, sometimes 30-40 of those have been seedlings I have been growing out for one of the top Brugmansia hybridizers in Germany, Monica Gottschaulk.
    I have been in constant contact with her over the years so please don't assume you know how a hybridizer would feel if you have never talked to one. More times than I can count have I been told to compost what looks to me to be a perfectly good Brug and I have done so, knowing that she has far better knowledge than I will ever have.
    In order to over winter these, I have to cut them back and I have learned over time how to do this and yet still have wonderful plants and flushes outdoors in my 4 months that I can have them there.
    Not everything works the same way for everyone else so it is unwise to try and place your thoughts/feelings/expectations on others. Do what works for you and understand there are differences for others and that is OK as well.
    If I did not get plants that grew and bloomed like this.....

{{gwi:544083}}
    {{gwi:544085}}
    {{gwi:544088}}
    {{gwi:544091}}
    {{gwi:544094}}
    {{gwi:544096}}

..... then maybe I would be more willing to listen to someone I do not know tell me I should not be cutting them back and/or growing them in a zone they were not meant to be grown in. I have on ocassion had them get frosted too before I got them brought in and it made no difference to them or to me.

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Those are beautiful brugs. Thanks for posting.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Ruth Ann I know you are really only 2 feet tall. lol I still can't get over how well your brugs grow in your zone. They really are gorgeous.

• haase
    14 years ago

Oh Ruth Ann! I don't think I have ever seen anything this gorgeous before! Thanks for posting these pictures.

Ingrid.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Karyn lol. I am at awe each time Ruth Ann posts her angel pictures also.

Ruth Ann your flushes are to die for!

Lucy

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

I am speechless! Our northern brug god! You rock!

• haase
    14 years ago

Have there ever been posts before that never came to an end, like this one?
    Ingrid.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

they all come to an end sooner or later Ingrid. The latest when the messages under a thread reach 150 lol. THAT is the END and you have to start a new thread and continue there.

Happened a few times lol

Lucy

• haase
    14 years ago

Oh WOW, Lucy! This forum is the best classroom for me. Thanks.

• sekhment
    14 years ago

Oh Ruth Im a zone 5er to. That makes me feel way better. If you can grow burgs so big and beautiful in zone five. I have a chance. Is there anything special you do for the zone?

• jroot
    14 years ago

Ruth Ann,

I have not had the success this year that I sometimes have. Nothing compared to what I am used to. I assume that it is the result of not enough heat, and sunlight. Congratulations for your good show.

John

• ruth_ann
    14 years ago

John, I had a pretty good year here. French Canadian is on her third flush with another to come if the temps hold. I think it is just that way some years, I had one like that a couple of years ago with no rhyme or reason. I figure they should be allowed the odd 'off' one. :)

I say this for any and all zones.... improve your soil and plant them directly into the ground so you do not have to fertilize or water so much. A good root system will give you a good plant and good flowers. I fertilized mine for only the second( and last) time this year the last week in August. That is really my only 2 'secrets'.

• desertmikey
    14 years ago

Hi, everyone! I've read these postings re: what to do with brugs in cold weather areas with interest, because I have the opposite problem. I live in Zone 10, Inland Southern California, and brugs make it through our very mild winters in great shape (sometimes blooming all winter). However, it's our hot, dry summers that seem to take them out here. I know enough about brugs that I don't even try brug. sanguinea. But, what can I do to coax the versacolor and suaveolens hybrids through our hot, dry summers? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Desertmikey: Please post your question in the main brugmansia forum. This is the wrong thread for your question which will need as many members as possible to see.
    But there are some members that have some experience with keeping their brugs alive through extreme heat conditions but constant high temps I don't recall. Good Luck - Sandy

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Please post your question in the main brugmansia forum. This is the wrong thread for your question which will need as many members as possible to see.
    But there are some members that have some experience with keeping their brugs alive through extreme heat conditions but constant high temps I don't recall. Regards - Sandy

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

desertmikey, I live in the SFV and it gets pretty hot here too. I have a couple of noids that are out in the sun all the time, but I give shade to the name ones by keeping them closer to the house. Of course, we also have to water often.