SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

root rot

16 years ago

I was wondering. If you ever come across a situation when you realize that a particular plant you have, has started to develop root rot, is it too late to save the plant? Or can a plant be saved if caught early enough and what be done do to reverse this rot to help the tree thrive. I am talking in reference to potted up citrus trees. There must be away to stop further progression of root rot and save the poor thing. I have one that started to develop it by examining roots. Help...Thanks..

Comments (45)

• 16 years ago

First, does it sit in a drip pan (saucer) which catches the run-off water? If it does, nix the pan. I've had success in stopping root rot sometimes. It depends on how far it has progressed. Mix a teaspoon of chlorine laundry bleach per gallon of water. Water the plant well so it drains through the soil. The bleach will kill the bacteria. Did you know that the Centers for Disease Control encourages drug addicts to clean their needles with bleach because it will kill the HIV/AIDS virus. After a week to 10 days water with a shot of SuperThrive and 1/2 strength fertilizer.

• 16 years ago

Hi Terry,
    My pots are never sitting in a saucers, for sure. But I recieved this plant barerooted about 2 months ago and planted it right away in soiless mix with peatmoss...Think it stayed wet too often, never got a chance to take, and I noticed that leaves were falling off. My first response was to check out the root sysytem. So I took it out of pot over this weekend, noticed the roots turning brown.So I put it in a smaller pot with better draining soil. Thanks for your idea. I hope to treat the roots asap. :-)

• Related Discussions

(Lamb Hass) Avocado root fungus (root rot?)

Q

Comments (4)
    10 foot from the house wouldn't be too bad if you keep it from getting too large. As for the retaining wall the roots don't seem to be too much of a problem depending on what type wall. Have you checked with your extension agent or local Master Gardner or even a GOOD Local Nursery? You can take pictures not the plant with you and let them help with your problem. You could in the mean time spray it with milk and water in about 5 parts water, and 1 part milk. This does in some cases kill some molds but not all. But if it is a mold or what ever you need to get it under control as soon as possible.
    ...See More

orchid root rot & probs with root growth

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi, lara. Root hormones work, they really do. You can get them in powders, gels and liquid forms. I've used them on tropicals and houseplants for many years, and on orchids successfully for about five years. You paint the gel or powder or rootless pieces, or can paint the gel on existing poor roots or root nubs. The liquid (eg Dyna Grow KLN, or Hormex) can be used as a watering solution each time you water, and encourage root growth. Check out the websites of Charlie's Greenhouse or Worms' Way to see the different kinds available, and the prices. They are sometimes called "cloning" or "propagation" solutions. This time of year, plus the root hormones, you should be able to get good roots started and maintained on your orchids. There have been a number of threads here on re-rooting rootless orchids. If you do a search, you may be able to find some of them. Search for "root", "rootless" or "re-rooting", see what you get. One useful thread was entitled something like "don't give up on your rootless phals". Sphagnum moss around the area where roots would form helps maintain a humid and slightly moist environment that encourages roots. Good luck.
    ...See More

What causes stem rot or root rot?

Q

Comments (2)
    Its hard to say with any certainty what is the cause. The typical reason is related to being too wet or too heavy of a soil mix. Which based on your description was unlikely. There could be other reasons beyond that like a bad cutting (rot was not apparent but was already there), bad cut (not properly callused), and/or seasonal issues (too cool and not during growing season). Sorry but that may be the best I can say. My preference is to start cuttings in the springtime on a heat mat with natural light. IMO light is less important than warmth.
    ...See More

Bottom bark of taxus rotting and peeling off-root rot?

Q

Comments (11)
    The surface of the rootball where mulch isn’t covering it gets dry so fast because its exposed and the sun dries it out. So then it proceeds to dry out the rest of the rootball while the native soil around it is still moist. But I can’t tell if the roots from the rootball actually made it into the native soil in just after 9 months especially when people say it takes 3 years for trees to establish. So I just watered it anyway to keep the rootball and native soil evenly moist. And since bigger trees take longer to establish(this one was 6 ft B&B in sand), I assumed that there has barely been any root activity yet. The soil where I planted this is more loam and no clay, thats another section of my yard. I’ve had enough potted plants that I plant in the ground drying out their peat/bark based rootball first while the native soil is still moist and having to water the plant only for it to runoff the surface and not absorb any of the water and the rootball of the plant stays dry while the soil around it becomes a swamp. It’s somewhat easier on my taxus because of its sandy rootball but it does dry out super fast. But I guess my taxus does not like the weekly watering so I’ll cut off on the watering, if it actually survives. The internet makes it sound like this plant is the most fragile plant when it comes to even the slightest wet spell. The black was definitely part of the bark and not something that was growing on it. I peeled it off and the bark you see on the base is the second layer. It hasn’t rained 1.5 weeks and no precipitation in the forecast for another 1.5 weeks. And the last rain we got was the first rain after 2 weeks of no rain. So I try to water stuff before the ground dries out because once it dries, its very hard to get it thouroughly wet. Especially under 2-3 inches of mulch. I know this from last summers drought.
    ...See More
  • 16 years ago

If the roots don't appear to be dead all the way to the main stem, you should trim off the affected tips with sharp scissors. Then repot in fresh potting medium into which you've added about 50% perlite. Root rot diseases are fungal, and there are common fungicides available.

I've never drenched a container with bleach but I have dipped rooted cuttings in a diluted solution. It would probably help get rid of any disease spores before you repot.

Avoidance is sooooooo important. I know that you've been asking a lot of questions about potting mixes recently. Making sure that your mix is very coarse so that it drains rapidly is an excellent way to prevent this from happening. Especially if you have a tendency to water too frequently, lol!

• 16 years ago

What Dori said. She always gives sound advice that you can rely on.

I would also skip the bleach drench.

Al

• 16 years ago

Hi!!!!! What can I say. I never saw such a bunch of people who care so much for the sucess of others! By the way Dori, I finally got great advice from one of our good friends and members on this site, one who even sent me a sample and told me how to make a great soilless mix!! This person is a special memeber!!!!!! As so all of you who take the time to care enough to see me become sucessful with your patience. Guess my determination has paid off in one area.
    I think I am finallly all set in the soil deparment for now, thanks to the kindness of all and in particular one member! :-), and I can say goodby to ROOT ROT! lol. Maybe for the first time in 5 years I can shall stop having to attend my citrus tree funerals!!!LoL
    Looking forward to sharing somemore time with all you great people who have the same interests as me..:-) Happy winter, and pray for a quick spring so we can put our struggling plants out where they belong..In the warm sunshine and fresh air!!! Lets hope the groundhog was wrong! Lolol Mike

• 16 years ago

Heres your chance - MeyerMIke...

My Bearss lime tree is about a month old from the nursery - It was lush with leaves and had a few good sized limes. I was excited as it is my first lime tree. I fell in love with it instantly. My significant other gave it to me for christmas - so if I kill it - i'm afraid she'll never trust me with a child.

About a week from when I took it home, it flowered and I was excited to have dozens of limes in a few months.

A bout a week after that, the flowers and limes started falling off - then the leaves slowly started to fall off. Then I saw a few scale like bugs - so I took the advice of the nursery and sprayed with rosemary oil. Now, its a bare skeleton of a bush - only a father could still love. two leaves and dropping.

I've contacted the nursery (once a week) who tells me to water only when necessary and wait it out -

I checked the roots - but they seem ok - the soil is pretty compacted. Ive broken it up a little and added some freshie. When I water - it doesn't get down to the drip pan.

Some of the branches are turning dark.

Its still about a month before I can put it outside in the warm sun.

Any help??? My future depends on it.

• 16 years ago

Hi binion, Please read my post I sent today....WEIRD STORY. I think the solution would be to give it to me, I will bring it to my work, and stick it in full sun in front of those big windows!! I gaureentee what ever ails the poor thing,it will be cured like mine that get sic at home..Lol...
    I swear these trees are meant to grow in greenhouses, outdoors, or wherever you can give your poor tree at least 6 hours of NATURAL sunlight! Depending how strong your tree was and the care it got before you brought it home, I think the shock was to much for it to take, to leave the place where it was happy growing. Keep your hope up and think SPRING!! It will be here before you know it, and if your tree is still hanging on my then, it will be back to healthy self again once it gets the sun it so much craves and loves!!:-). Keep your chin up. If you have healthy roots which I would check, I woudn't worry about it. I would be more worried about pests? There is alot of smart people on this site that address all possible issues with our trees,and help us keep them strong till winter is over. But no one can really give our trees what they really crave, to get better...LOTS OF SUN...Rememebr the way you felt if you ever went to a place where palms trees grow after a long winter..Lol..
    P.S. You have alot friends on this site, make good use of it!:-)

• 16 years ago

Thanks Mike - I got the tree to remind me of the sun! I read your other post. What type of grow light do you use? I was looking at the LED ones (I'm an Energy Efficiency Engineer)- but I don't know if the light has the right properties. It looks like a lot of people use them for "herbs". I wonder if it would help my lime tree.

The branches are slowly turning black. No Pests. Soil temp is 65degf.
    I checked the roots - they dont stink and they still seem white and stong in most places.

• 16 years ago

Hi Binion,
    I got my lights at this company....
    http://www.wormsway.com/catalog.asp?cat=prolt
    spb104 series
    and
    http://gardeningrewards.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1053
    I have both of these.:-)
    I have two windows in my room. One lamp over each, along with sunshine that comes in the south facing windows. I was told they are very economical. Hum, I wonder what my electric bill would look like if I kept them on longer?
    I have a 450 watt and a 600 watt.
    Thanks for asking and I hope you have good lights too.
    Hope your plants gets better ok..
    Mike:-)
    P.S. By the way, you might want to look up "branches on my tree turning brown". I think it is common. I could of sworn someone on this site could of said that branches doiing that could be a normal process of orange trees pruning themselves? As long as most of the tree is still looking healthy with new growth, not to worry? Maybe someone can tell us..:-)
    I might of read it on a citrus care web site too. If I find it I will let you know..Ok

• 16 years ago

Meyermike, can you give us an update on the root rot situation?

• 16 years ago

Hi tsmith,
    You suggestion may hve helped..keeping fingers crossed. I actually went home that day and washed the roots off my plants then soaked the roots in chlorine water for a few seconds. Then transplanted it into fast, well draining soil. JUST this past Sunday I was curious as to how the roots looked although the leaves still look not so good. Would you believe that I saw the begining growth of white roots.:-). It might have helped too that I had it on a heat pad to encourage root growth. I also fed it superthrive.
    I hope it continues to do well. Thanks for your help. I will let you know if it survives this winter ok. Thanks for inquiring!!:-). Take care

• 16 years ago

tsmith,
    Three weeks and runnning..I still have not seen my tree croak due to your suggestion!!!:-)
    There is still no growth, but whos complaining? At least there is no diing....lol

• 16 years ago

I'll add an update too-

I don't know if its good or bad --- but its ugly.

My tree has only one leaf left - the good news is that that has been the solo leaf for two to three weeks. The trunk is still greenish, some branches are brown and look like they are dead although still pretty limber. The majority of the branches are greenish still.

Its still cold here in Virginia.

Im hoping the tree will come back to life in the spring, when I can put it outside.

I've been carefully rationing the water - even less now that only one leaf needs to drink..

i'm keeping my fingers crossed. it seems to do better when I don't care about it anymore.

• 16 years ago

Hahahahahahah,
    Binion, you just describe my tree to a tee too, unbeleivable!....:-)
    Lets see what they do by spring..Lol
    Take care!

• 16 years ago

oops sorry. mine has 3 leaves left!!!LOL

• 16 years ago

I have faith. Im afraid to shock the roots without shocking the plant again - i want to try the heating pad, at least at night. What's your take on it?

• 16 years ago

Interesting idea you have!
    Want an experience. I haven't thought of doing that with the one that I treated with cholrox in the begining.It is in a big pot. BUT,,,,I brought from my sisters about 2 months ago. It was a little one. Variegated lemon at that about 6 inches tall, and sickly in a 6 inch pot. I checked the roots, they were bad, brown and smelly. So I cut the bad ones off, did not treat with cholorox, I didn't know then to do so, and potted it up in Als soliess mix. I also gave it a drink of Miracle Grow root shcok preventer. I DID rest this one an a heat matt in a window, since I am rooting Plumeria's, because it was the only spot for it. Just 2 weeks ago I checked the roots again, I was curious because I still saw no new growth on the top part, should I say leaves. WOWOWOWA...This little plant had TONS of pure white new roots developing. I noticed the pot was very warm too. Maybe warmth helped dry out the soil more faster and encouraged new growth. Who knows. Now I hope I didn't shock again looking at them..LOL
    I would try it and just not worry about it. Watch your watering of course, we know that, and see what happens. You might get a Wowa out of yours too..:-)

• 16 years ago

I can think of a new thread..Ready
    What is the best way to encourage healthy new white roots on plants, in particular sic ones!! Root Devopement! LOL

• 16 years ago

Good Idea - Im going to get a heating pad this weekend, especially since the winter isn't showing signs of going away...

I like the new thread idea because Im not convinced that root rot was my problem - the roots were wet but not smelly and still semi white.

• 16 years ago

Hey,
    If anyone on this particular root rot thread wants a plumeria cutting, let me know ok. I am going to the flower show here in Boston and if I can get a few, I will get one for you. My way of saying thanks!
    Have a great day.

• 16 years ago

Thats great mike - Can you send it to Virginia?

• 16 years ago

Yes of course. Just e-mail me ur address at mikerno_1@yahoo.com

• 16 years ago

Binion,
    the roots don't have to be smelly to have a diagnosis of root rot. When the roots are smelly then you have advanced root rot that has a secondary bacterial infection. At this point the plant may not be savable.

• 16 years ago

thats bad news for me...
    All I can do is wait until the spring? or you think my tree is done?

My last leaf fell this weekend... there are some green branches still though.

• 16 years ago

I am very experienced in killing citrus in pots! so i can pass on my knowledge gained to you.
    Firstly,you need to understand why you get root rot in the first place.Its not the water that causes the death of the roots its the lack of oxygen at the root level.All mixes will have air spaces in them.When you water too much and the medium is fine these air spaces are clogged up by water/compacted soil.,so the roots suffocate by lack of oxygen.The smaller the tree the more coarser the mix.It must drain fast and allow the air back into the root zone.Peat moss compacts and stays very wet for long periods.There is your problem.A tall pot is also prefered over a wide short pot.Seek out "the perched water table" for more info.The top half of the pot is more condusive to good root growth as long as it dries out and air spaces resume.Over watering is the biggest killer of container citrus.I have tried these mixes,the last one has done it for me.all my trees are in it and doing well.We get a lot of rain here and that is taken into consideration
    1.chc chips plus peat moss=stayed too wet,leaf drop,death
    2.orchid mix(very coarse)=good for a while,then too organic,resulting in breakdown and compaction(your enemy!),
    no air = death
    3.Gravel on bottom of pot(raises pwt,bad idea!)Standard potting mix with water holding granules.Stayed too wet=death
    4.Standard pot mix with added pummice stones(pea size),added non decomposed bark(bad absorbs nitrogen,starving your tree from its most important element),stones lower air spaces(not what i thought),too much organics.=death
    Plastic pots and then terracotta to help pots breathe.
    5.planted into big container 5 times the plant root ball.A lot of the outside mix stay wet,mix goes sour,leaf drop =death!
    6.This is the one! can be used in platic pots or terracotta.
    I am trialing black plastic pots,so the roots get warmer.Doesnt go over 26c in summer here.
    50 % pot and tub mix made up of fine/medium composted bark.50% perlite and slow release osmocote citrus food 18-3-9 plus trace elements mixed into soil. Small amounts sprinkled on top at new growth in spring and autumn.No other feeding.Dries out nice.I read if roots remain saturated for 48 hrs or more,root damage occurs.Doesnt compact due to the perlite.Well aerated due to the perlite,drains well.Equal mix of organics and non organics.
    It rained hard out for two days,mix starting to dry straight away.reading saturated on your moisture meter=bad news.
    You can try hydrogen peroxide 3% to bring a tree back to life.Prune dead mushy roots as described above,plant in above mix,prune top into balance if needed.transplant at same level as in pot.If you go deeper the tree will die.Try to keep trunk dry near soil.Keep soil evenly moist,not wet or bone dry.Feed with hp/water and wait.Will take some time for roots to recover.
    I use hp when i transplant to give a boost to roots.Good luck.

• 16 years ago

Thanks so much for that info..laidbackdood!!!Wow
    That also sounds like a great mix. It is pretty close to Al's mix, the bark and the peat, perlite and gypsum one.
    You have some great ideas and was very kind to share them!!
    I use HP too. It really works man>>.
    Hopefully your sucess will continue, and it was great to see you come on to this thread!
    Keep in touch.
    Mike

• 16 years ago

Thanks Dood! I think Ill try the new mix soon -

How do you use the hydrogen peroxide?

• 16 years ago

Hi binion,
    Here is where I got my hydrogyn peroxide.

http://www.dfwx.com/h2o2.html

If you can get it somewhere else, there should be instructions. I just used 1oz per gallon of water. Works great. If I recall, there might be a thread on this site from others that used it too. Hope this helps you ok. It sure helped me.;-)
    Mike

• 16 years ago

Here is an article I read before I used the peroxide...:-)

Helps Plants
    It is this hydrogen peroxide in rainwater that makes it so much more effective than tap water when given to plants. With the increased levels of atmospheric pollution, however, greater amounts of H202 react with air-borne toxins and never reach the ground. To compensate for this, many farmers have been increasing crop yields by spraying them with diluted hydrogen peroxide (5 to 16 ounces of 35% mixed with 20 gallons of water per acre). You can achieve the same beneficial effect with your house plants by adding 1 ounce of 3% hydrogen peroxide (or 16 drops of 35% solution) to every quart of water you give your plants. (It can also be made into an excellent safe insecticide. Simply spray your plants with 8 ounces of 3% peroxide mixed with 8 ounces of white sugar and one gallon of water.)
    FRom........
    http://educate-yourself.org/cancer/benefitsofhydrogenperozide17jul03.shtml

• 16 years ago

Hi,it was a pleasure to share my disasters!!
    How do i use my hp? You can use 3% or 6%.Someone told me you should add it on top of your water,not water on top if you know what i mean.I use filtered water from my tap,fill my watering can,then just chuck in 50 ml of 3 %.Very casual!!
    My can holds 7 litres.I have no idea if thats too strong but everything has been ok but i dont use it much.Getting the soil
    airy is far more important.However,the extra o2 is good.
    If possible,i will always put my pots out when it rains,especially if it hammers down.They love rain water,i think because its slightly acidic also.It washes away all the salts that build up in the soil(the by products of your ferts)That is important every 3 months or so.I only use tap water if its been a long time,or my trees are getting dry.
    Its heading to autumn now in auckland,all my trees are putting out new growth.I had one problem tree through summer=Tangelo.It always seemed to stay wet and not take up water at all,the leaves started to go pale,I transplanted into my new mix and it did nothing.I didnt water at all for ages because it wasnt taking up water.We had a huge downpour the other day,so i put it it the rain and gave it a good flush out.Two days later of warm weather,its half dried out and new growth sprouting everywhere!!Couldnt believe it!!My guess is the roots have been busy.Citrus tend to do cycles=root growth/top growth/root growth/top growth.So,if you have transplanted and nothing happens,no leaf drop or twig die back then thats great,as the roots are probably doing their stuff!! Dont worry.
    My guess is all that fresh rain water which is a bit like hp and contains organics,flushed and fresh oxygen to the roots and off she goes.Citrus are crazy plants!!!
    Now,i just have to be careful they dont stay wet through the approaching winter.My mix is suited to plenty of rain.You guys tend to be in a drier and hotter summer,so you dont want a mix to dry too quick.Happy growing everyone.

• 16 years ago

p.s you asked how can i encourage root growth? Well i havenet tried this but i see no reason why it shouldnt work.If anyones knows different,feel free to pipe up= Get some of that root hormone dip(fluid),dilute it a bit and water your tree with it.I would wait at least a month after transplant though.Give the tree chance to setlle down a bit.Id rather try this than "super thrive".
    Its good for cuttings,so i might try one day a.Cheers

• 16 years ago

You are right. We had a dry spell with little rain all summer here in New England last year. So I had to water all my trees with the hose. I could even collect a bucket of water from the roof. BUT ONCE IT RAINED...Poof! Seemed like they had a shot of steroids!lol
    If your are looking to give your plants good water instead of facut water, collect water and snow in a garbage bucket,put it where you know the rain falls from your roof, and as soon as it melts or rains, fill as many a gallon jugs with rain water as possible, and this will hold you over till spring. My plants love rain water!
    This doesn't work though if you have a drought!!!lol
    P.S....Seems like they like to sit in a good thunderstom too ha....:-)

• 16 years ago

My Gramp used to have one of those big plastic barrels attached to a downpipe from his greenhouse roof.It collected the rainwater and had a tap on the bottom.If we ever move to auzzie,i will try to find one of those,as they have watering restrictions there.Good luck with your trees.I have 7 in pots now,they are all young and vulnerable mind.Cheers

• 16 years ago

NICE!!

Hey, have fun with your trees too. It is quite an interesting hobbie learning how to grow citrus, and yet be pro's at it, isn't it? Thank God for this site and people like we are getting to know. Talk to you all later!
    Mike

• 16 years ago

Great advice. Im here in Northern Virgina and expecting a dash of snow later today. I cant wait... until I can actually put my plants outside. I am timing it, so I can repot (with your mix design) and get them outside at the same time. I put a heating pad under the pot for now to keep it interested in living. I am anxious to see what the roots look like in a few weeks.

We'll see - if the spring never comes - I guess my tree is going in the compost pile. Until then, Ill try a little HP.

• 16 years ago

I will keep an eye on this post for future updates.Hope everyone gets healthy growth.I might even post a photo of my trees sometime.Happy growing everyone.
    p.s if you get too much rain,it can be a good idea to put your trees under the eaves of your house.Quite often,they dont get any of the rain(if thats what you want)or put plastic bags around the top of pot to stop any more rain getting on them.Remove,when weather clears.cheers

• 16 years ago

I hope Im not jinxing myself but my tree is showing small signs of life in the form of two or three small buds coming from branches.

Being that the tree has zero leaves left at this point.. its promising.

• 16 years ago

HI binion!!!!!!

Well guess what? The tree that I treated with cholrine soak and the same one sitting on the heat pad..IT'S STILL ALIVE!!!
    But I did loose the other Meyer Lemon I had that only had a copuple leaves on it for a month now. That one I never treated because I was stupid! All the branches turned brown. So yesterday I had a funeral for it, then buried it in a garbage barrell.Lol The company that sent it to me barerooted in December, is sending me a replacement though!!Yeah
    Hey look at my latest post on ...Look at these pictures... before they dissappear. I accendently sent more than I wanted too, intending to send just my citrus tree pictures, so I asked Garden Forums customer service to delete it. So before they delete the whole post, quick. look at my tree pictures that I have at work , and ignore my friends!lol
    By the way. I went to the Flower show Saturday, the worst I have ever been too. E-mail and I will tell you about it!!
    Take care for now...Mike

• 16 years ago

I saw your pictures - they look great. Thats what my tree looked like back in the day (before I got my hands on it).

I tried a small amount of Hydrogen peroxide with water and have been using the heating pad at cold parts of the day only (the thing has e-shutoff so it doesnt last long) also, i think the tree has to feel a difference between night and day.

The spring is in the air, although still cold. - the frogs are out so i know its soon.

I think When I am able to put this tree outside, it will come alive again - hopefully as well as your lemon tree...

• 16 years ago

Binion,
    Believe it or not, those pictures you saw yesterday were not even a lemon tree, it is my navel orange tree, with the juciest, seedless oranges imaganable!! That is the one I never get to enjoy seeing grow. It sits in a show room across the street from me,at work all winter. I practically ignore it, and it is my healthiest..Crazy ha. I am afraid to grow it at home. The key to that one I think is , TONS of sunlight...That's it
    So I pray we get a quick spring so whatever sic plants we have, can get better fast in the sun. lol
    Text me at mikerno_1@yahoo.com and I will tell you about the flower show I went to..:-)
    Mike

• 16 years ago

Lots of great info on here guys/gals. I am very young at this citrus tree growing thing. I now how three trees I am trying to save, question though. I never really saw a ratio of HP to water to give my plants. What is a safe mix? Thanks

• 16 years ago

My heating pad and HP mix has really started to turn my tree around - I dont water very often - I let the soil really dry out before I water (maybe a week and a half).
    The heating pad helps to dry the soil i think and kick start the roots.

I used about a tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide (over-the counter bottle) for 1 quart of water.

I think it depend on the condition of the roots, since mine are on the rebound, i don't think i need much -

I think a key to lime trees is to use small amounts and small changes of everything(except sunlight!).

heres a quote from REXRESEARCH.com

(6) Hydrogen Peroxide ~ 30% hydrogen peroxide also is effective as a stimulant of germination. Very dilute hydrogen peroxide also accelerates later growth if used only occasionally.

• 16 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I try to get the most information I can about these things. I just repotted about 1 week ago and took alook at my roots and they're looking pretty healthy and even new growth. I don't think it would be a bad idea to give them a small dose to hlp them out.

Like alot of people have said it seems like the less you worry about them the better it seems they are!

I left all three of my trees out in the rain two days ago and I think that helped too.

Thanks for all you helpful info!

• 16 years ago

mdcitrus, are you in Maryland? Im in NOVA but i'm still afraid to put the tree outside. soon, I hope.

• 16 years ago

Yeah I am in Maryland. I usually look at the weather forcast in the morning and bring them out when it is above 35. It's a pain, but I think its better they get the fresh air and sunlight.