SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_tosca

Meyer Lemon cuttings

organic_tosca
17 years ago

In late Fall, I took cuttings from our Meyer Lemon (and thank you to all the Garden Webbers who helped me with advice at that time). I have had them in our unheated, many-windowed sleeping porch since then and was going to try potting them on this week, as it has been about 11 weeks since I started them. But earlier this week, I began to see gnats in and around the pot that the cuttings are in. I think they must be fungus gnats, judging from the info I found in the Pests and Diseases forum. It makes sense, as I was rooting them in an organic potting mix and had kept them moist. I'm hoping that they didn't get into the soil of my succulent collection, which is on the same table out there. I'm not too worried, as I have not been watering the succulents at all (we have had very cold weather here so far this winter). Anyway, today I took the pot of cuttings outside and checked them for roots: NONE. I was a little surprised, because the twigs and their leaves had stayed green. I'm not terribly disappointed, since I figured from the beginning that I could try again in the Spring if need be - also, the gnats were undesirable.

My real question is: where did I go wrong? I know that some of the people that helped me earlier were potting theirs in vermiculite or sand, and I wonder if that could have been my problem, for the gnats as well as the lack of roots (when I try again, I'm going to use transparent plastic pots so that I can see what's happening in there - or not happening). Or could it have been just too cold in the sleeping porch? It's been below 30 degrees (pretty cold for California) a number of times this winter. Or would Spring cuttings have been a better idea anyway? Any helpful advice will be appreciated.

Laura

Comments (3)