SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_hosch

Meyer Lemon over wintering

bob_hosch
18 years ago

Hi, This is my first time to the Citrus forum and I apologize if my posting is too long.

I have a small Meyer Lemon tree which I bought the year before last. It's basically a twig but it flowered nicely and has several baby lemons, though all summer the leaves yellowed and dropped and it has practically no leaves at this point. I probably will cut all the lemons off and start over.

I looked up leaf issues on this forum and I can see that I did just about everything wrong last year when I re-potted. I used a huge pot, I tried making potting soil with topsoil and pearlite and when that didn't work my wife added a bunch of peatmoss. So basically I have poorly draining soil and I am going to re-pot in the spring.

My question mostly concerns the winter. I live in what is supposed to be zone 8 in Western Washington, right on puget sound. The winters are in the 30's-40's with the occasional dip into the mid 20's though it's usually warmer here by the water than the surrounding area. It rains a lot and it can get extremely windy.

I have been thinking of planting the tree in the ground as I had heard they can tolerate mid twenties and I think it would be a nice addition to the landscape. I have left it outside the last 2 winters and covered it with some spun polyester row-cover cloth. It doesn't do anything all winter but it seems to survive.

I had never thought of bringing it indoors and that seems like a way to have it grow all year long?

I am curious if anyone has had success with outdoor plantings in a similar climate? Ultimately I would like a steady supply of lemons for cooking etc.

Thanks for any assistance

bob

Comments (8)