SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Newbie Brug Grower Update

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Wow, to say that these tropicals take some time to bloom would be the understatement of the century but my dtermination to see one of my 4 cuttings bloom this year has finally paid off!!

First I have to say thank you to all the members here. I also need to say thank you to my good friend Bo. Without her, I would not havbe even had the cuttings. I am really pleased that some of you have shared with me some tips and also things to look out for.

I have one cutting(And it is actually the smallest!) and it was the only one that budded up for me. The first bud took around 3 weeks for it to grow and mature. Up till today, I was convinced that I was going to end up with a nice lemon yellow flower. Myfriend Bo told me that the cuttings were yellow and pink. I did have them seperated and some were even labelled as to the color of the cutting. Today, I ran outside first thing after waking up(My neighbors who see me must think I am whacko!) to check on it and it was almost fully open, and PINK!! I did notice that the flower initially started emerging as green. I know everyone here must know this but I observed how the flower starts to emerge from the bud as green and then as it grows and the sun light hits it, it turnes the color it is supposed to be. My brugs is a peachy pink. What a gorgeous flower. This is all I needed. To get hooked on another tropical. I all ready grow tropical fruit trees, plumerias, jades, angel wing begonias, bird of paradise, and several more! I harly have the room for these!!!

I was told that these will store well in a dark basement. I will have to read some older posts here on this. I can't imagine not having each of these plants next year! Can someone tell me how they store there brugs? I live in zone 6 in western NY. If anyone in a similiar zone can share there techniques, I will be very gratefull!!

Once the flower is fully open, I will post a picture of it here. Right now, it doesn't look like it is fully open and I cannot detect any fragrance from it at all. This darn weather in NY has been really cold and wet for the past 2 weeks. We have yet to have a dull day of sunshine in the last 2 weeks.

I am also looking for some more cuttings. I would like to find some variegated forms. I know there is a member that posted about having to get rid of some of the cuttings they have and I will contact them today.

Andrew

Comments (3)