SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gjb123

What is a mature garden? (Bay Area)

G B
9 years ago

Hello -- I'm new to this forum and new to gardening. I originally posted this question in the newbie forum, but another member said that that forum is often overlooked and to try posting in a more specific forum - so here I am!

My family (2 adults, 3 young kids) moved into our home two years ago, in the Bay Area peninsula. It's a 6,000 sf lot and I've been told by several people that we have a very "mature garden." I have no idea what this means. There are lots of plants, shrubs and small trees, a small front lawn and a decent-sized back lawn. I'd like to get more involved with the garden, but since I have my hands full with the kids right now, and I'm a novice gardener, I am looking for a weekly person to help me keep everything maintained and not too wild. I have interviewed two gardeners and they have commented on our mature garden without giving me concrete advice. Can anyone fill me in on what this means? Do mature gardens require more/less work or maintenance than other, say, newer gardens? In the last two years we have not fertilized or mulched anything, which I know is bad. Could I expect a good gardener to help me learn about these things?
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Comments (5)