SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gary_depuy

Growing tuberous droseras

18 years ago

Hey, is anyone else around here growing any tuberous droseras? Well let me tell you that if you have the winter growing blues from all your normal cp going dormant for the long cold winter, tuberous droseras make wonderfull medicine for those blues. All my cp are now dormant, outside in a greenhouse, and the only thing I have growing now, in the house under lights, are a few nepenthes, some south african droseras, and couple of my mexican pinguiculas that are hanging in there but soon will join the rest of their pinguicula cousins in dormancy, and of course the many tuberous droseras that I have which are just now sprouting up for their winter season. They are very pretty and interesting plants to grow, and the upright varieties are fun to feed as the leaf tentacles will actively wrap all around the prey. I feed mine sometimes just a wee tiny piece of hamburger, no fat please, and in a nights time it will be all dissolved and absobed by the leaf. The rosetted types are not as active of feeders, but given gnats etc, they do okay too. So, as some of you increase your cp collections and gain the neccesary skills needed to step up to the challenges of growing tuberous droseras, please give them a try, as they are neat little and big,,,, plants to grow. And once you have tried a few of them, like most of us-trial and error learning, you'll adapt to their really simple but required conditions for growing, you'll be glad you made the switch, trust me, I promise!!! But start with the easy varieties, the easiest being D. peltata. And expect to lose a few tubers at first, but just like your first VFT's, you'll learn from your mistakes.

Hey, contact me here if you are growing tuberous droseras, we can trade info, and maybe some plants. Good growing to all.

Comments (7)

Sponsored