SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncgardner_gw

Made My Rain Barrel Diverter

ncgardner
16 years ago

If anyone is interested, I came up with a diverter for my rain barrel that is only $5.00 and works beautifully. My downspouts are buried so I didn't want to remove the bottom portion of each. After looking on line for a diverter and finding they cost anywhere from $27. to $45. I decided there had to be a better way.

If your barrel is full and another rain is coming you can divert the water right back down the downspout to eliminate overflow on the ground.

I went to L's or HD and bought a plastic FLEX ELBOW. They come in both downspout sizes and expands from

8-18". Several colors and cost $4.99.

1. Cut your downspout at the height you want according to the barrel height. Go about 6-8 inches above the top of the barrel.

2. Then cut the same downspout again about 10-12 inches below that cut. This will leave a 10-12" space of missing downspout. (Give yourself enough room to move the flex piece.) You'll need to push the f.p. up and down a little when adjusting for the position of barrel or downspout.

3. Using a downspout screw, I permanatly screwed the top end of the flex elbow onto the bottom of the top piece of downspout (the one coming from the roof). Be sure the d.s. goes inside the flexpipe so it wouldn't leak. This piece will never need to be removed.

When the barrel is already full and they are calling for rain.....

4. I put the bottom end of the flex piece into the top of the bottom downspout. Pull out the flex piece to extend to fit and the rain goes right into the original downspout.(the piece of downspout that runs to the ground) This is basically filling in the gap of missing downspout.

When I want the rain water to go into the barrel....

5. I pull the bottom of the flexpipe out of the top of the bottom piece of downspout. Extend and bend the flexpipe as necesary to line up with and empty into the barrel. You can add a short extention (cost $1.59) to the end if necessary. The flex Elbow has a give of 8-18" and moves easily, up, down and sideways.

I actually have my barrels sitting around a corner of the house from the downspout (due to shrubs) so I added an additional flex piece and bend it around the corner of the house to match up with the top of the barrel. You might find an electrial tie helps hold the two flex elbows together if there is a hard rain. I have no unwanted overflow running around the barrel once it is full.

NOTE: When a barrel is full, water can only come into the barrel at the same rate it is exiting through the overflow hose. In a storm, a full barrel overflows quickly.

Hope this helps someone. Any questions, let me know.

Kaaren

Comments (13)