SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarojishana

Need help identifying two types of lemons

sarojishana
13 years ago

Lemon #1 - Is from two tree on vacant property adjacent to a friend - trees that we get hundreds of lemons from each Dec. These are towering trees, probably 25 feet tall or taller with huge spines. The lemon by appearances is a Ponderosa. It has bumpy skin and the lemons are large with many seeds and quite juicy. What puzzles me is that we are in north Florida where we've been getting extremely cold temps in the 20's for the past two years and everything I've read about Ponderosa is that they're not very cold-hardy. Maybe they survive because of the age/size of the tree?

Lemon #2 - Is more of a puzzle. It also comes from a tree on vacant property and one fruit was given to me by a friend who lives adjacent to that property. He picked it up from the ground under the tree so doesn't know if the branches are spiny. He says the tree is very tall, been there a long time is covered with fruit. The fruit looks like a humongous oval lemon measuring 1/2 foot tall with circumference over a foot. But it doesn't taste like a lemon. It's sweeter and tastes like a grapefruit. Not very juicy. It has thick rind, tough membranes and lots of seeds.

Both these fruits seem to be hardy in these colder temps we've been experiencing. I'm about to clear some trees to plant fruit trees and, if I can identify these citrus trees, I would love to plant them.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES