SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrove_ac

Some advice needed on overwintering

gardengrove_ac
17 years ago

So I have two brugs that started this year as 12" cuttings and are now about 5'x5' in 20 gallon pots...I'm wondering what do do overwinter; I'm hoping to take my babies to my college greenhouse so I can care for them (and show them off;)) all winter, but the only space I have left without giving away inventory is smaller than the plants need. Would it be best to just cut the plant down to a few foot stick (sparing any Y's that are low enough) then move it and let the growth fill in or to move my big ol' plant in and cut back as little as possiable. I agreed to take cuttings to sell in my Forestry Club's tree-sale fundraiser in March but I don't want to start them this early because of space constraints. Can you keep the plants in a quasi-dormant state as cuttings to overwinter (like the Bucket of Brugs, but at a near-dormant temp) without stressing them out too much? Also, we try to keep it organic at the greenhouse so I'm going to try using Neem oil and safer soap this year for spidermite and aphpid control (two biggest problems I've had). Also, if I do decide to keep the plant going all winter, either as the full plant or severely pruned, should I keep fertilzing on my normal 2x weekly schedule? Thanks for any help, this is my first winter with these amazing plants so forgive me for running on with questions.

Peace,

Nate

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!