SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hero81

Couple of Questions concerning VFTs

hero81
16 years ago

So I have about 6 pots of Venus fly traps.

4 Large, 2 small.

Among the largest there is:

-A pot containing a bunch of small "baby" VFTs.

-A pot containing 3 "medium" sized VFTs.

-A pot containing 2 "Medium-Large" sized VFTs

-A pot containing either 2 or 3 bunched up large-ish venus fly traps.

Among the smallest there is:

-A pot containing a large-ish VFT*

-A pot contianing a small VFT

*My personal favorite. Not wilted, huge traps, stands tall and proud, redish, keeps growing, catches fruit flys (?) at night, Huge traps, more huge traps. Might be a B52?

All under lights for about 80% of the day

I know they are healthy because they are not wilted and are turning red, traps open, and traps close. Not only that, moss has began to sprout in the soil. And the plants keeps growing (all of 'em).

Now..

The questions:

I've noticed several leaves growing out and the traps start dying or "burning up" as it grows. Not only that, but some following leaves successfully grow with traps. And the leaves that DO burn, still grow but without a trap. Like.. only the trap burns. What's going on? Does the plant think it's ugly and want to be a normal plant? Is it turning into a vegetarian? Is it rebellious?

And if algea starts growing in the dish of water the pot sits in, is that bad? And when I say grow, it's having a growth spasm or something. Fastest growing yet.

So far only ONE of my "baby" type plants died, but I have about 12 more in the same pot. Survival of the fittest?

Comments (7)

Sponsored