SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebea_gw

Moving succulents outdoors

9 years ago

I want to move my cacti and succulents outside because of the nice bright sun this summer and the warm temperature. The first time I did it, some of my plants got scorched :'( I got really sad over it because I lost one plant and the other one is now in bad shape. I still want to move my plants outside because my house can get terribly cold and even my south-facing window does not do a lot of good in terms of lighting.
I want them to have as much sunlight as possible but not sunlight that can burn them. So I made this little house for them. From this house, the cacti and succulents will get a good amount of sunlight with longer amount of hours but not scorching strong sunlight. It also will not get wet from the unexpected rain we sometimes have because I want to keep up with the watering schedule I have - once a week every sunday (I put a translucent plastic bag over the top of the openings) Outdoors, the temperature here recently has been going up to 70-85 degrees. At nights, it's around 55-65 degrees.
However, I am really not sure if this is the right way to go.
Can you guys assess if I'm doing the right thing? I want my cacti and succulents to thrive. I'm also preventing more etiolation and encouraging a nice color out of them. Thanks so much!

Comments (7)