SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ams2009

Should I release these two butterflies or should I wait?

ams2009
14 years ago

Okay, I have two GSTs that eclosed early monday morning, the weather has been terrible, rainy, cloudy, and temps in 30's-50's, sun has been out very little, and only for short periods between cloud cover. I have been hand feeding them, and yesterday I tried to release them when I went home for lunch, this was around 11-ish, they would not fly off, so I sat each of them on some flowers, one on lantana, the other on some blue flowers in my neighbors yard as it had tried to fly off and stopped and landed on the ground and just sat there for a while, so I picked him up and put him on a flowery plant. I assumed they would eventually take off, but when i went home around 4:45, I checked the spots where I had left them and both of them were still there, in same exact spot, so I picked them up and put them inside, back in reptarium, since it was almost dark at this point and they had yet to take off. I hand fed them some sugar water again yesterday evening after i brought them in, I cannot tell if they are actually drinking, but they do move their proboscis around in the sugar water and seem to get still for a little while like they are drinking. It is actually kind of decent out right now, temp is 51 now, supposed to be in mid-50's this afternoon, there are spots of cloudiness, but mostly sun. The forecast is predicting a "wintery mix" possibly snow, for tomorrow, so what should I do?? Should I let them go today since it is probably sunny enough and dry enough for them to be able to fly and nectar? or will they be able to survive if there is snow/wintery mix-ice/rain tomorrow? I am afraid they are going to starve to death if i continue to keep them, but don't want them to end up freezing to death if the weather gets severe tomorrow. Need help deciding what I should do, thanks

Comments (2)

Sponsored