SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ams2009

How long can butterflies wait to be released, weather is terrible

14 years ago

Yeah, I spoke to soon about my gsts eclosing in time for perfect weather, I have two who have been ready to be released for over 24 hours now, and it is still terrible outside, in the 30s-40s, steady rain all day, and no sign of sun for the past two days. These two emerged sometime in early am on Monday, to be more exact, sometime between about 10pm sunday night and 8 am monday morning. I was out of town and my pupa "sitter" messaged me at 8:30 am yesterday to let me know that there were two butterflies in my reptarium, one that appeared to be ready for release, and one that appeared to still be drying its wings, but it was raining, and cold, so I told her to wait, well, the weather remained the same all day yesterday, and it was even worse today, so I did not release them as it NEVER stopped raining the entire day today. I put some slices of lime on a plate covered with tulle in the reptarium, the lime was overly ripe, kind of close to "rotten" and I read somewhere that "rotten" fruit slices are used to attract butterflies, so I am hoping this will sustain them until I can release them, I am afraid of them starving to death, I have some nectar flowers in my yard, but not sure if they are nectar plants for gsts. Mexican heather, cassia, and some flowering weed plants, I have some lantana, but don't think the few flowers that are left are really any good. I am debating whether or not i should mix some sugar and water, and try to encourage them to "nectar" on it. Please let me know if anyone has ever had to keep butterflies this long due to weather, and how long they can survive without "eating". I don't want to kill them by trying to shelter them from the weather, so just wondering what the best thing to do would be. Forecast tomorrow shows partly couldy, with temps in the low-mid 50's. So i am going to release them as soon as i see the sun come out, but I don't know if they can wait this much longer for nectar, thanks.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting