SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gcertain_gw

Moving to Mexico

gcertain
17 years ago

We've installed a security system in the house, cleaned up the gardens, emptied the fridge and made our apologies to the family for missing Christmas. Friday morning, Dec. 1, Larry and I will hop in the car and head south, following the Monarchs to Michoacan for the winter. We spent two weeks there last winter and liked it so much we believe we may want to make it our permanent home. This will be a three-month trial. I'm looking forward to learning a whole new group of butterflies, but it will be wonderful to see the Monarchs en masse.

We anticipate the drive taking five or six days. We'll spend the first night in Gulf Shores, Ala., with our daughter, then spend another in New Orleans, our first trip back since Katrina. Then it's on to Houston and down to McAllen, where we'll spend another night and cross the border the next day. After that, we're not sure if we can make it to Patzcuaro, Michoacan, in two days or three.

The only thing I still have to do is find homes for my three cats (the feline variety). If you know of anyone anywhere in Alabama or along the route from Mobile to McAllen who wants a cat, I'll deliver.

Really. I'm not kidding.

geni

Here is a link that might be useful: I made them a Web site so you can see their pictures.

Comments (41)

• texaspuddyprint
    17 years ago

What fun!!! Do hope to see photos of them!!!

Do you have Kim Garwood & Richard Lehman's book "Butterflies of Northeastern Mexico? It's a wonderful photo guide. If you don't most of the butterfly parks in the Lower Rio Grande Valley carry it...or you can order it from their website.

Hopefully you'll find time while you're in the McAllen area to drive over to the NABA Park and Bentsen World Birding Center in Mission for a look see at the butterflies there...if the weather permits...once the sun it up and shining you should see at least 100 species. We've been having some cool mornings so they don't come out as quickly. That book can probably be purchased at either of those places...I think. I've had mine for about a year and refer to it often as we get lots of the same butterflies out here.

Couldn't see photos of your cats...any chance one is an indoor de-clawed and spayed female cat that gets along with indoor dogs and doesn't know how to use a doggy door?

~ Cat

• mcronin
    17 years ago

Geni,

What a great way to spend the winter!!!!!!! Hope you will give us regular reports. Have you made any contacts with some of the "regulars" who study the Monarchs in Mexico each year?

mike

• Related Discussions

moving rose bushes, urgent answer needed

Q

Comments (2)
    strip the foliage and cut it back right before you leave. Roses do go somewhat dormant in hot weather with reduced watering--just enough and no more. Start cutting back water now. Good luck in Mexico.
    ...See More

Moving to New Mexico

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Jae, I'm in Santa Fe and came here from N California. Basically, it took me 7 years to "get it" about gardening here - but now I have a courtyard wonderland that is the envy of everyone who sees it. We don't have lawns and huge gardening spaces - even on large properties. The idea is that you do "spot" gardens near the dwelling and leave the rest of the property to native growth. Dig a hole in our soil and you have a clay pot with a very small drain hole. So, your first approach is to amend small areas at a time and do a lot of container gardening with annuals while you slowly amend beds and add perrenials. This gives you a "flowering garden" while you build up what's actually in the ground. Use really rich potting soil like Fertilome for amending and for the containers. Every year, the slightly spent potting soil from the containers gets worked into my flower beds, and with the addition of composted mulch, the beds have gotten deeper and richer every year. When planting a perennial, you dig a hole much deeper and wider - like a large flower pot. Loosen the clay bottom and then fill with Fertilome or other really rich soil. It's exactly as if you are planting the perennial in an underground "pot" which will eventually break down and blend with the soil. Do enough of this and eventually the whole bed or area will be amended (along with top dressing with composted mulch, of course). The most wonderful thing about gardens here is the relative absence of pests (no slugs or snails or mosquitoes or fleas - pets don't need flea protection), and the proliferation of wild birds, little lizards, quail, and other critters that are so willing to occupy your garden space with you and make it more like a natural paradise! Plants need watering *every* day here, which is why containers, soaker hoses, and Native plants are a great idea, because water is a precious commodity here. Another essential is to understand microclimates. Because of adobe walls which store heat, and wind issues, you can have 3-4 climate zones right in your Zone 5 garden. Here is a link to our most wonderful local gardening resource: http://www.highcountrygardens.com/ Periodic vists to their store/nursery, Santa Fe Greenhouses, is a must and *such* a fun experience. Hope this helps - and welcome to Paradise. jessica
    ...See More

Moving to New Mexico

Q

Comments (2)
    That is northern new mexico. You might try Espanola hot peppers which are fairly hot. or the very mild Chimayo pepper. There are other heirloom New Mexico peppers. New Mexico is the land of the Chile pepper. Great place to live. Chimayo is zone 5 and is south of Taos. I have a feeling much is micro climate in New Mexico especially up north. good luck Beautiful country.
    ...See More

Need advice about water filtration/softener system

Q

Comments (1)
    Let's start with water analysis. Gather water reports and get your water tested. It matters not one whit what Ms. Brokovich says - analysis and facts matter. Fort Worth gets its water from the Tarrant Regional Water District, which does not treat water at all - all treatment is at the wholesale customer side (you water treatment facility). All a chlorine burn means is that the system is periodically, temporarily, switched from chloramines to chlorine as a method to kill bacteria which may be resistant to chloramines or in greater number due to excess runoff. This is fairly typical for surface water sources. Free chlorine levels are still required to fall within specific, safe guidelines, but you will notice a difference in taste and odor - the human nose can detect chlorine at very low levels. Odor doesn't make the water dangerous. So, post analysis and then we can help.
    ...See More
  • MissSherry
    17 years ago

Wow!
    I sure hope you'll set up your computer and send us pictures and reports from Mexico. If you make it your permanent home, think of all the new host plants you can plant for all those new butterflies!
    By all means, keep us posted!
    MissSherry

• tdogmom
    17 years ago

Wow, Geni, WOW!
    What an adventure...I am envious. Do let us know how things go...I am sure you will. :)

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Geni - lucky you! Please send us photos and updates as you can. We would love to see them! What a wonderful way to spend the winter......I'm full of envy!

Susan

• emmayct
    17 years ago

How great is that...You have the hutzpah (sp?) to actually up and do what I've wanted to do all year.

And you actually have a someone, Larry, to share the adventure....

Can I tag along....

Maryann from CT

• gcertain
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, thanks for all the good wishes. And Cat, thanks for suggesting a good butterfly ID book for Mexico. None of my current books focuses enough on Mexico and Central America, so I knew I'd be looking for another.

The link is really messed up. It should be www.landofcotton.com/pets/. In my first post, the link also has the name of the link pasted in at the end. No wonder it didn't work. Your questions about my kitties made me laugh. All these cats are fully equipped with claws and they use them with relish and skill. They all know how to use a doggie door, although they prefer to have doors opened at their bidding. I have found homes for two of them (bless my daughter and niece), and I have my fingers crossed that I'll get a definite affirmative today from an acquaintance who lives nearby. However, there are two more strays that hang around here part time, and I'm pretty sure I can catch them if any of you really, really want me to bring you a cat. MissSherry, Biophilia, Mimidi, I'll be coming right by there ...

We are taking a laptop and we should be able to find highspeed Internet. Larry and I will keep some sort of journal and I'll take pictures by the thousand. I'm not much on blogging, but I'll probably set up something on Land of Cotton. Pics from our trip last spring are at www.landofcotton.com/southernsun/. There's no index page there yet, so for now you'll get a clickable list of photos. No captions yet, but the names of the files are descriptive.

Four days and counting ...

g.

• linda_centralokzn6
    17 years ago

Truely a chance of a lifetime! Do keep in touch, and send lots of pics.

Geni, you have mail.

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Oh, Geni, those are THE most beautiful photos. I love the trees loaded with Monarchs. Such a beautiful sight. No wonder you want to go back.

Will you be looking for any tagged Monarchs to report to Monarch Watch?

Susan

• MissSherry
    17 years ago

I'd take one of your cats, Geni, but when my daughter moved in, she brought her schnauzer, so now I've got 6 dogs!! I just can't take care of another pet!
    Good luck - sounds wonderful!
    MissSherry

• Butterflyer1966
    17 years ago

Dear Geni,
    wow, wow, wow....! That sounds fantastic..I know we haven't chatted since a while and I am barely on this Forum, because life is keeping me so busy here..
    Now you are moving away from Alabama and we are coming..I am closing on our new home which is in Pisgah/Henagar on Sand Mountain hopefully next week and we are moving everything between 1st and 2nd week of December..
    I wish you and Larry the best of Luck, hope that we can stay in touch and whenever you come back to Alabama maybe we can meet...
    We are very excited about the entire move, kids cannot wait, same as me..Most of the stuff is packed, we are slowly living and moving around boxes here..
    Since my son wants to take all the animals, especially all his reptiles, it will be a FUN MOVE up there...
    My lil daughter already told me what she wants when we get there:
    a chicken , so she can have daily a fresh egg and a sheep, so the sheep can eat the grass and I do not have to mow the 3.5 acres..lol
    Oh well, Best of Luck again and Happy Holidays
    Your's Susanne(SUE)

• linda_centralokzn6
    17 years ago

Sue, my thoughts have been with you. Best of luck with moving with all of the animals. Hope that all goes well for you. Please keep in touch. We love you. :)

• texaspuddyprint
    17 years ago

Geni...

Glad you got a good laugh about the kitties =^..^= saw the photos and write ups...they are all characters indeed!

Had a tomcat before but he figured out how to use the doggy door and scaled the fence and was gone before I could get him neutered! I still see him roaming the neighborhood but he refuses to come inside. Guess he was meant to prowl!!!

Will say it again...that Garwood/Lehman butterfly book I mentioned is very nice...but it is strictly a photo guide...no wording describing butterfly markings or such. They also have a website with photos of Mexican butterflies...that works just as good :o)

Have a safe trip and get settled in quickly so you can share photos of places many of us will never visit!!!

If you drive out to Mexico through the Pharr Bridge look towards export dock on the west side right before you come to the first yellow barricades - I'll be working if it's a weekday (but ya gotta have xray vision as I'll be inside!!! Ha! Ha!)

If you drive out through the Hidalgo/Reynosa bridge...good luck!!!

~ Cat

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Oh, yeah, Sue - don't drink the water! Hee Hee!

Susan

• Butterflyer1966
    17 years ago

Dear Susan,
    that was very sweet of you, what you wrote..
    Why can't we drink the water there??
    We will have City Water.... ;-)
    I am so getting fed up with packing..lol
    Greetings
    Susanne(SUE)

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Hey, Sue! I'm just so happy for you, just so happy! What a wonderful thing to be able to do during winter! Sigh......just wish I could hitch a ride, errr, rather, migrate!

I've always been told and know many folks who have gone to Mexico and had a bad experience if they drink the water, or eat fruits and vegetables raw, uncooked. There is some kind of virus or bacteria in the water that the indigenous folk are tolerant of, but we USA'ns are not. It attacks the stomach and colon and can make a person quite ill. When we went, our doctor always gave us a round of a certain type of antibiotic to prevent this B or V from attacking those of us who were not immune to it.

It seems the same thing may happen to hispanics who travel to the USA as well. Don't quote me on that, though.

But, if you've been there before and didn't have any problems, maybe they have treated the water there to get rid of it.

That's why I would exercise caution! I had a friend who went there and ate some kind of raw cabbage dish, similar to coleslaw and she became violently ill and had to go to hospital upon her return for treatment. I kid you not!

Susan

• Butterflyer1966
    17 years ago

LOL, now you'all know how exhausted I am..
    I meant to thank LINDA for the kind message she wrote me and I addressed SUSAN...
    Susan, I am the one moving to Fort Payne, Alabama soon and Geni is the one leaving Alabama and moving to Mexico soon..
    Hope everything is back in order now... ;-)
    Greetings
    Susanne(SUE) soon to be Alabamian..and back in the Country..

• emmayct
    17 years ago

Here I thought it was me who was confused.

Now I got it straight.

Geni to Mexico, Sue to Alabama.

What about me? I'm still stuck in CT with NO butterflies for the Winter.

Maybe I'll go to Southern Texas, at least for a little visit!

Best of luck to you both!

Maryann

• Butterflyer1966
    17 years ago

Hopp along, MaryAnn,
    thanks for those nice wishes,moving is a huge pain in the neck..lol
    Susanne(SUE)

• linda_centralokzn6
    17 years ago

Tee!Hee! I had to reread a couple of the messages. Glad that we got that all straightened out.

Geni update: I did get an e-mail this a.m. from her that they were planning on taking off at 12 noon today. Yeh!!!
    I do wish them well, and hope that all goes safely.

I did give her a few contacts, and she said that she would check on them, particularly with the reforestation projects.

She said the hardest thing she found was unplugging her computer, and taking the modem back. I can indeed identify with that with all of my wonderful friends here on the Butterfly Forum. :)

• gcertain
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sue, I'm sorry that we will miss each other this winter. It's unfortunate that you are arriving in Alabama just as I am leaving. I'm writing tonight from Lake Charles, La. Although the water is wonderful in the Appalachian foothills where you will be, I'm a little hesitant to drink it here. May as well get accustomed to being careful. Tomorrow night I'll be in south Texas and cross the border Monday morning. The cold front that crossed Alabama earlier in the week appears to have left gorgeous but chilly weather behind it. I am still hoping to see some butterflies as I proceed south.

Oh -- the cats. My niece took Lizzie, my next door neighbor agreed to feed Kristall, and we dropped Slim Shady off with my daughter. We are cat-free for the first time in 12 years. Feels strange.

• Butterflyer1966
    17 years ago

Dear Geni,
    yeah I am kinda sad that we are missing each other, but when you come back to Alabama(hopefully) we can meet up... :)
    The new home is in Pisgah/Henagar and sits on 3.5 acres...I cannot wait to start my gardening there, and bringing a whole bunch of plants with me..Over winter I will keep them inside of course..
    The closing is planned for Dec 12. so please keep your fingers crossed..
    I am hoping you have an awesome wintertime and tons of Butterflies in Mexico,cannot wait to see pictures..
    Butterfly-Hugs..
    Yours Susanne(SUE)

• tdogmom
    17 years ago

WOW, I have goosebumps right now as I type this! Two veterans moving...(and of course, I just sent both my holiday newsletter, too) all these new beginnings! WOW! (again) :)

Looking forward to all the news. This reminds me so much of Paul and his garden. Do you remember how it all started? Now look where he is with it! Such an oasis for wildlife- particularly butterflies!

• Butterflyer1966
    17 years ago

Hey Sherry,
    yeah, we are finally getting out of here..I had awesome experiences with my Gardening here,for Butterflies and also for other Wildlife,but Florida is getting way too expensive, overcrowded etc..
    I am so craving back to Country Life,the way I grew up..we cannot wait to go..
    It will be hard to leave the Garden here behind, but I am hoping someone will appreciate what I did the past years..
    I still have tons of Butterflies, I should cut my Dutchman's Pipevine which is looking way too wild in the Backyard, but I have so many caterpillars on it, it would break my heart to just cut everything down..
    So if anyone is here in my Palm Bay area, please contact me and get the caterpillars and as much cuttings as you like..
    I cannot take all of them..
    Greetings
    Susanne(SUE)

• mcronin
    17 years ago

Sue,

Best of luck in your move to Alabama. I just reread your member page about getting started in Florida. It reads like you've created a great garden in Florida. Given your excitement about getting back to the country life on your 3.5 acres in Alabama, I'll bet your new garden will be even better! Our best wishes for you and your children and MAY THE ALABAMA BUTTERFLIES DISCOVER YOU QUICKLY.

mike

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

.....and I remember Mike when he first started Camelot! Look what he has now! Tdog and MissSherry have been doing it so long, that they belong in the Butterfly Bible. "....and in the beginning.....".

Sue, I've always been curious, does Butterflyer1966 have special meaning to you? That's the year I gradutated from High School! Boy, giving away my age! Forty years, and it seems like yesterday. Unfortunately, HS was not my most favorite time in life - is it anyones? My sister was the popular one in the family (younger than me); cheerleader, BB Queen, you name it. I was the quiet, introspective child.

I hope we hear from you when you are settled in your new home. Does anyone live near you that would take in your pipevine cats and some pipevine to grow?

I know you've been talking about this move to Alabama (or somewhere further inland) for awhile, due to the hurricanes and other reasons. Are property and taxes just incredible? I know there's no state tax, but usually in those states (I lived in Texas for awhile), they make up for it in other ways, like higher property taxes, etc. Will you be in northern or southern Alabama? I've been thru Mobile on the way to Ft. Walton Beach, but that's it. Of course, butterflies weren't really on my mind then - sun and sea and wearing a bikini (like that's gonna ever happen again now! LOL!) were close to my heart then.

Susan

• Butterflyer1966
    17 years ago

Dear SUSAN,
    my screenname popped quickly in my mind because I love Butterflies, = Butterflyer and the Year I am born=1966..
    Yeah getting old here..lol...
    Fort Payne is, when you look on the Alabama map, south of Tenneesee and on Border to Georgia, close to Lookout Mountain area..
    I fell in love with this area when my girlfriend who is from there recommended it to me after I told her I miss my home in Bavaria, Germany..
    It is very laid back up there, the kids have place to roam, schools are awesome and I hope I can find peace of my mind again..
    I love that Pisgah,the town we found our home has only 700 people, I never was a City Girl..
    I have been doing my Wildlife and Butterfly-thingy for almost 5 years now and I know it will be different there climate wise..
    But, hey I used to do crafts all the time that is what I will start again when wintertime is there which is usually very mild anyways..
    I will definetely stay in touch and b4 we move and the pc is turned off I will give you my addy and we can stay in touch the good ol way..
    Butterfly-& Season Greetings to everyone
    Susanne(SUE)

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

You're getting old? Remember, I said I graduated high school in 1966! Hee Hee. You're just a young chickadee.

Bavaria, Germany? Were you close to those lush Black Forests? It always calls to mind the children's story, Hansel and Gretel.

Susan

• gcertain
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hola from sunny Tzintzuntzan, Michoacan. Well, actually, at the moment, it's starry Tzintzuntzan, but it was sunny today with temps in the mid-70s. Nights are quite chilly, but not freezing and they absolutely sparkle with stars. I can see the Milky Way clearly for the first time since my childhood in the sticks in north Alabama -- very close to where Sue is moving in a few days.

We arrived on Tuesday, but today was the first time I had a chance to do any serious butterfly watching. We are staying this first week at a lovely B&B called Posada Espiritu Libre. The owner, Didi Rubin, has spent the last two years building gardens along with renovating the house. She's not done yet (never will be because she always has three plans for each one she finishes), but the gardens are doing a fine job of attracting butterflies and hummingbirds, along with songbirds. Of all the flowers blooming here today, it was the good old lantana that was the butterfly magnet. I saw maybe 10 different species, and all of them could be new to me. One looked like a Cloudless Sulphur and another looked like a Fiery Skipper, but the sulphurs and skippers are so difficult to identify that I won't even swear to those. All the others were definitely lifers for me. I took pictures, but I can't upload them yet. I'm using Didi's computer for now, but I expect to have my own Internet connection next week, after we move into our own place. We decided to take a little house with a yard for the whole year. That way I can garden and we won't have to lug all our stuff back to Alabama when we go home in the spring. Then we can bring more stuff down next fall.

Sue, I am so excited for you. I know what a beautiful and peaceful place you are going to, and with all that space to spread out, you're going to just love it. I promise that I will come up and see you when I get back in the spring, and we can exchange some favorite plants. In fact, I'll ask you to take some cuttings of your Dutchman's Pipevine for me. That's one plant I haven't been able to find in the local nurseries. And remember that Terramadre will be fairly close to you when you move -- closer in fact than I am when I am at home in Munford. She has been a dear friend to me and she is a fabulous gardener and a generous soul.

Cat, we did cross the Pharr Bridge, and we remembered to wave.

Although this adventure is wonderful fun, it is also a little terrifying. Logging in and finding you all here brings a great sense of calm and security. What a terrific group! Thank you all.

geni

• Butterflyer1966
    17 years ago

Dear GENI,
    awesome to hear from you.. :) Between all the moving, packing etc we are doing right now,I have always checked back here to see if you wrote how you were doing..
    Today was a big day for us, we picked up the first!!! UHAUL and brought it to our home here in Florida..As we started loading it, my son's friends joined us and within a short time it was packed..I bought them 4 boys some Pizza and they just loved it..I so appreciated their help..:)
    We will drive up to our new home on Monday since the former owner was so nice to give me the meter number of the Power and Water Reader and I was able to get both turned on..I am glad the Coldfront is moving away from Alabama it has been freezing cold there the past days..Closing is next Tuesday so we are good to go..
    I have never taken cuttings from my Dutchman's Pipevine but if you tell me how I would love to bring you some..The Vine is here out of control, growing over my pond area etc..and also covered with eggs and cats from the Goldrim SWT..
    I am so excited it is getting unreal..I was very nervous about driving the UHAUL and also having my VAN on an AUTO TRANSPORTER behind us, but I think it is a piece of cake..lol we will drive slow with the flow...
    I wish you Best of Luck in Mexico,please keep us updated and also start taking tons of Pictures..
    xoxoxoxox
    Best Wishes
    Your friend Susanne(SUE)
    I never spoken to TERRAMADRE before, where is she located at?? I would love to hear from her and I am so glad to have you all here, since I will be moving from Zone 9b to Zone 7 and I know there will be quite a difference with plants etc..

• MissSherry
    17 years ago

How exciting, Geni! I can't wait to see your pictures!
    And Susan, I graduated from high school in 1966, too - interesting!
    MissSherry

• gcertain
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Silly me. I have no idea whether Dutchman's Pipevine can be propagated by cuttings. A Google search brought me right back to our own forum and a few other pages which suggest that it is best grown from seed and is not hardy in zone 7 anyway. Oh, well. Sue, you have more than enough to worry about in the next few days, so you just have fun and keep feeding those boys pizza.

Terramadre posts sometimes in the butterfly forum but more often in the Alabama forum. Here's a thread in which all three of us posted: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/alabgard/msg0618180512130.html

MissSherry, it's good to hear from you. I sent happy thoughts to you as we went through coastal Mississippi on I-10. I hope you felt a little breeze of good feelings as you were working in your garden last Saturday.

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Don't forget that Rob had serpentaria roots for sale at one time. I don't know if he still has it or not, but it's Loess Roots.

Geni, so glad you made it and everything is going well. A cottage? How romantic (in terms of gardening and butterflies)! I'm just imagining what it must be like to be there amidst the winter home of the Monarchs! Ah......bliss! I hope we hear lots of good stories and see lots of great images of the butterflies there, and know you ALWAYS have a home here.

MissSherry - how cool is that?

Dreaming.............

Susan

• linda_centralokzn6
    17 years ago

Thanks for checking in, Geni. Sounds like a dream come true. Can't wait for you to get internet connection, and links to your website pics! Keep in touch.

Btw, I don't know which Dutchman's pipevine that you are talking about, but Aristolochea tomentosa and A. macrophyla are hardy to Zone 7, and can be propagated by cuttings. I do not know about the Aristolochia fimbriata as have not tried it yet, but it is hardy to zone 7, and should be able to obtain cuttings from.

Be safe, Sue. REMEMBER that you need more room to turn corners with all of that length behind you. Keep in touch.
    Love you. :)

• texaspuddyprint
    17 years ago

Geni,

Great to see you checking in on your post...and already having fun watching butterflies.

I do hope to see some clearwing photos from you. The Greta Oto and Pteronymia Cotytto strays we had in 2005 and 2005 were said to have come from Mexico...and if you find any of their larval host cestrums (lanatum, racemosum, san luis) or solanum nudum do let me know - I haven't been able to find a source for it.

Also hope you post photos of all those gorgeous butterflies that we don't get to see in the US.

~ Cat

• mcronin
    17 years ago

Geni,

Your adventure sounds more and more wonderful with stars, lifer butterflies, rental for a YEAR, opportunity to garden, and of course the opportunity to commune with the Monarchs. I'm sitting here typing and about 3 feet to my right is the Christmas tree with butterflies that your gave us!!!!!!! Thanks again for a gift THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

Enjoy and happy holidays,

mike

• emmayct
    17 years ago

Now Geni...you went and left without me! And I had my bags all packed and ready too.

So happy for you that you are getting to live a dream. I've been having a similar dream to just up and take off to warmer climes where it's warm year round. I don't know why I don't, I have no personal obligations that I can't break from for awhile. Just afraid I guess, or lazy.

What are the people like in the town where you are? Are they American, Mexican, or from elsewhere. What do the locals do for a living? I've always wanted a clearer feeling of the area where the Monarch Preserves are located.

Please keep us posted....

Maryann

• linda_centralokzn6
    17 years ago

There has been increased drug trafficing in the Michoacan area. Geni, please be safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Increased drugs in Michoacan area

• tdogmom
    17 years ago

Wow, so much going on right now. :)

Geni, so glad you are posting again. Get that internet connection up soon.

Sue, let us know about your new home. Looking forward to pics! :)

Lots of love,
    CalSherry

• donaplaysindirt
    16 years ago

We are also moving to Mexico.
    We have traveled there every year since 1985..
    After retiring in 2002 we started leading RV caravans through the Yucatan and Colonial Mexico.
    Now we have retired from that also.
    We purchased a home in Mazatlan last winter. For now we are also keeping our home in Washington, to have a place close to our Moms.
    ?Have you found any Mexico gardening books.
    Dona

• Msrpaul
    16 years ago

I'd love to hear more about this. Posts...pics, how to love...etc. I hear Americans used to be able not to buy property in Mexico....not they can? Or 100 yr lease? I've always worried that it's not safe. But I know some tows there must be idyllic.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz