SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trina_kachoo

Need advice about water filtration/softener system

Trina Kachoo
6 years ago
Hello, I am looking to install a water filtration and softening system in my ~30 year old house in the DFW, TX area. It seems our city buys water from a water system who is taking shortcuts in the treatment of its water that have required a chlorine burn off, and Erin Brokovich of all people is telling us our water supply is toxic when this happens. Apparently this happens quite often and call me paranoid, but I am not ok with toxic drinking water.

So I have only done a bit of research. I understand that the water softener isn’t necessary if I just want clean drinking water, but I would like to have soft water to save my appliances and make my hair look better. The main issue though is the safety of our water supply. Ms. Brokovich is starting that even the steam from a shower is u healthy to breath, so I want to filter my entire water supply (bypassing the outdoor faucets and sprinkler system). I have got a quote from Culligan Water and that’s going to be at least $6500.00. Haven’t check with any other companies yet because of sticker shock. We don’t plan on living in this house more than seven more years with a probable plan on moving to Mexico upon my husband’s retirement. Which means we can’t take the unit with us. Doubt we will recoup the money when we sell. So, I am looking to either buy a unit and have a plumber install it, or perhaps find an adequate system from another company that’s not as expensive. I am wondering if anyone can tell me their experiences, advice, pros/cons of doing it piecemeal vs having a company install one, etc. Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)