SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
capeheart

Butterfly Bush Assistance Needed - Thanks

CapeHeart
16 years ago

Some of you may remember I was thinking about moving two butterfly bushes from my front yard. I had moved them a few times before and was leary of doing it again but had such a full garden and wanted to add winter interest of evergreens.

Anyway I left both bushes and just thinned out the other plants. We had a Nor'Easter over the weekend. Of course I noticed lots of branches on the ground, but it wasn't until I went to walk my dogs I saw some of my butterfly bush branches across the street. I then came to a large one. When I went to look at the Black Knight it was split near the bottom on two large branches. I took such good care of this bush - you wouldn't believe the shows it put on - I received so many compliments on it and the amount of butterflies we had was just wonderful. I don't want to lose it, that is why I just left it be but now I wonder if it will survive?

Any advice on how to save it before the harsh winter comes? I know I will have to cut off the branches that split but will covering that area with extra mulch/seaweed be a good protector? I was told only to prune in the spring and just deadhead during the growing season. Oh how glorious he was!

Many Thanks

Chantel

Comment (1)

Sponsored