SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shlansberg_gw

Need tree advice please!

shlansberg
13 years ago

My husband and I live in Yorba Linda and we are trying to get our landscaping done. We currently have nothing green - it's entirely hardscape and dirt.

The house needs privacy trees along the borders of the house that won't be invasive to a block wall. Our thought was to do ficus "green gem" as they will provide a dense privacy screen quickly I am told. To deal with the root issues that ficus can sometimes have we are going to use root barriers and bubblers for watering. We were told the green gem variety had less invasive roots. If there are other suggestions we are looking for the following:

1. Fast growing

2. Non invasive roots

3. Not toxic to animals

3. Evergreen

4. Dense privacy

My other dilemma is what to use for a couple of "signature" trees for the front. We love oaks and are leaning that way. However, I know they are super slow growing and even the 48 inch box (the biggest we can afford and that does not require a crane) isn't that big.

It's a two story so we want something that has some height and width as well. Someone suggested a Sycamore but I'm not sure.

It would be nice to get some suggestions. We are starting with a blank slate here...

Another question is I wanted to pa t some citrus but was told it's either quarrentined or heavily treated with noxious chemicals due to some pest. Anyone have info on that?

I am trying to pick a few pretty blooming trees and am considering:

1. Chinese Pistache or Flame Tree

2. Western Redbud

Also, one area I want an e evergreen that will grow very tall to block a basketball sports court and neighboors house I'm considering an Ash. Anyone know much about them?

We are considering birch, sequoia and magnolia as well for the perimeter. We are also considering clumping bamboo that Ive been told behaves itself.

We are overwhelmed and could use some suggestions! Thanks for any and all advice! Stephanie

Comments (13)