SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fool4flowers

Way off topic: Lyrica

fool4flowers
15 years ago

I know someone else is taking this but can't remember who. Would you email me please about a side effect question? In general have you ever had time gaps in your memory and confusion? I am seeing the doctor in the morning. I actually got lost in my own subdivision coming home tonight not once but 3 times and didn't recognize the streets. I would get going the right way again and then make a wrong turn and not realize it. Scarred the crap out of me and made me think I had a stroke or something. I was in tears by the time I made it home. Blood pressure was up pretty high from neck pain I assume(lifted a heavy bag of dog food and did something to it) but it is back normal now after an aspirin and laying down a while. I never knew anything could have that kind of side affect. The only problems I had until now was blurry vision and stomache pain the last couple of days. I noticed a little disorientation at times right after I took it and forgetfullness but not anything like this. After I started feeling better I joked with hubby that I had a stroke when I walked in the garden center at Walmart and the whole garden section was gone. Its now towels and linens and things. I think they are doing away with the garden center. Great, now I can't drive and have to go to the next town for garden supplies. I felt fine when I left Wal mart except for being stressed out and irritable at a slow clerk then next thing I know I am lost, find my way again, lost again, then almost pass my own street and realize it just in time and whip in barely missing hitting a cop and hadn't used my turn signal. Crazy huh? I am going to ask to be weaned off this.

Comments (33)

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Kristy that sounds horrible! I cansee why you where in tears. Glad you are seeing the doc tomorrow. I hope he can find something less with side effects.
    have him check you out !

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am and I know he is going to want me to come in which I still am getting dizzy when I stand up but feel fine lying down. I will have to find out what time he wants to see me and find someone to drive me. I felt more clear headed and not blurry until I got up and walked around now I'm laying back down again. This sucks. Figures I find something that actually helped me then get crazy side effects from it. Now watch him be out of town or something, lol.

• Related Discussions

Way off topic ---- blind dates !

Q

Comments (10)
    I fixed my sister up on a blind date with a guy from another town.He didnt want to get serious neither did she.Well,,,they married and had two kids but there was turmoil from the start.After about 20 years of marriage it ended in a horrible divorce. She was tired of supporting him and didnt care to support his laziness for the rest of her life.She gave him the 5 bedroom house and many other things and she moved into a tiny rental.SHE owns a biz and when they went to court the judge made her pay 1500 a month alimony to HIM!!!!! She was diagnosed with MS and is trying to get the alimony reduced but the lawyer says he(lawyer) has MS too and its no big deal! Oh the lawyer is a relative to EX husband. She is going back to court soon pray that an honest judge will help her out. Thats my story,I guess it could have had a happier ending,Im sure some do. I just pray my sister get some happiness and health back in her life.
    ...See More

Way off topic - Window Treatments?

Q

Comments (31)
    I will put in a vote for curtains, ideally washable curtains because drycleaning is quite expensive. I like being able to control the amount of light. Sometimes when it is hot and the sun is beating in through the windows or glaring directly in our eyes, I want to be about to screen some of it out. Also in rooms with lots of hard surfaces, curtains can soften sound and keep noises from booming. I actually used to get headaches when we gave parties. Everyone would always end up in the kitchen where the surfaces are all wood and tile and metal, and the sound would echo. I love entertaining, but by the time the party came to an end my head would be pounding. We have since put curtains up in the kitchen and that has made all the difference. Now the sound is softened and the glaring summer sunlight can be moderated. Maybe it is time for another party. Rosefolly
    ...See More

Way, Way, Way, OFF Topic

Q

Comments (1)
    Didn't bother me! Like they say around here * Stuff? runs downhill*:) Cecil
    ...See More

Photographers please WAY off topic!

Q

Comments (1)
    I have never done anything like writing but I have photographed people in mirrors where I had to contend with flash and keeping the photographer out of the image. Ideally I would set my camera on a tripod, increase the ISO as high as I could without creating graininess (noise), then I would shoot at a slow shutter speed and try to do it using available light (without using a flash). Assuming she does not have the type of cameras I have, I would suggest she shoot from the side to keep the shooter and flash out of the shot. Even so I would expect some flare from the camera's on board flash. If possible, use an external flash and bounce it off the ceiling. If she has a point and shoot camera and no external flash, I would try to turn off the camera's on board flash and use a flood light, or a work light or bright lamp or similar and again, aim it at the ceiling or position it where the light is best and shadows are minimal. If there is a window, try to shoot so that the natural light from the window is not reflected in the shot. It will be very distracting. If you must shoot so that the window is visable, draw the blinds or better yet, shoot at night. Lastly, again assuming she has a digital camera, experiment with a few shots and then go look at them on the computer and go back and adjust the lighting and her position, then shoot some more. Shoot LOTS of shots (50 or more). Hopefully she has a camera with at least 10MP and access to photo editing software because she will no doubt want to crop and edit her best shots. And if she has attached the mirrors on the wall with those little postage stamp sized two-sided tape, try using dental floss to saw through the tape. And take your time. That stuff is hard to get through but if she tries to pry them off she will probably break more than she doesn't. Good luck. Dave
    ...See More
  • givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

I can drive you!

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Lucy. I may need the help. Let me get hold of the doctor in the morning and see what time I can come in and I'll give you a call. John is working by himself and has to finish a car these people need to leave town tomorrow afternoon so he can't close the shop. If its at a time you can't go I will take a cab and by then maybe John can be done and come get me. I am still a little dizzy so I don't want to pass out while I'm driving or get forgetful and hit someone. Thats really sweet of you to offer. I'll let you know as soon as I can find out something. I just washed my hair and its falling out too. I gotta get off that stuff.

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

call me on the cell ANYTIME if and when you need help!!! I will be there.

• vaskirt
    15 years ago

Oh Kristy, I didn't know you were having problems. I am so sorry. Please let us know what the Dr. says. I know that scared you to death. Edna

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

Are you sure you weren't just dehydrated?? Let's rule out the simpler things before you give yourself a stroke or Alzheimer's!! Take care.

• napdognewfie
    15 years ago

Christy, I take meclizine because I get dizzy (menieres disease). Been on the stuff for years. Maybe they can add that to your prescriptions but it won't do a thing for your memory. Some days I think I should have my name sewn in my clothes so I can remember who I am. Dr says it's stress.

Linda

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Kristy, that is scary. I hope the doc. will be able to give you something else that will ease your pain. Perhaps other medication mixed with Lyrica is causing this confusion. Info on Lyrica doesn't state forgetfulness, but on a blog, someone mentioned being confused. Luzia, you are such a wonderful friend to Kristy. She definitely should not be driving.

• bonnie12210
    15 years ago

Kristy I am on Lyrica,I have had the same problems,mostly the dizzyness and uncordination,it is better now,how long have you been on it? Hugs Bonnie

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have been on it for about 2 months. No I know I wasn't dehydrated. I found a website this morning that listed actual people and why they were on lyrica, how long and what side effects and many of them said they got to where they couldn't work from making so many mistakes and couldn't drive but most didn't say why. A few listed confusion a lot listed losing their hair and some lost their fingernails and toenails. None of this is listed on the Lyrica website. There were even a few deaths listed on there but I don't know if they proved that was what caused it. One of the other side effects is I'm thirsty all the time and I normally don't eat but once a day and I have to eat now or my stomache hurts. The only thing different I did was when I picked up the bag of dog food to put it in the car I had a sharp pain in my neck that went into my head and so was having a lot of pain. Didn't think to check my blood pressure right away when I got home but when I did it was almost twice as high as normal but after laying down and taking the aspirin and a pain pill it went back to normal. The sudden spike in blood pressure may have caused it but the milder things like dizziness and forgeting small things like words and names I know has started since they increased my dose from once to twice a day. I forgot to take it yesterday morning and I don't know if that had anything to do with it. It was so strange. I have been driving before intending to go to a certain store and looked up and I was halfway across town already and had to turn around and go back but I just assumed it was not paying attention and driving on autopilot in my brain so that didn't worry me too much but last night I actually didn't recognize anything and I kept driving around til I did and when I realized where I was it didn't scare me at first I was just like how the heck did I end up way over here? A direction I never go unless I am just driving around looking for garage sales or something. Then I got back on the right street and it happened again all of a sudden I was in the wrong area again. Then I nearly passed my own street and a cop was pulling up to the stop sign and I whipped in and nearly hit him. If he had come after me he would have taken me to the loony bin I was so upset by that time. It would be like waking up and not being in your own house and couldn't remember how you got there is the best way I can describe it. I simply did not remember driving to the areas I was in and I drive the same way every time and could do it in my sleep normally. Its only about 10 minute drive we aren't talking about way across a big city, this is my own subdivision. Well the nurse just called and told me not to take it til he calls me back. Good thing I didn't take it yet,lol. Its only been three hours since I left the message. Crap I need to go work too. John is busy by himself.

• gardenpaw
    15 years ago

Kristy, Im so sorry to hear your having problems, bless
    your heart.
    I remember awhile back I saw a post where you said you take celebrex and I wanted to email you but I did`nt want
    you to think I was putting my two cents in where it did`nt
    belong...anyway, DH used to take it and it can have some
    pretty bad side effects also, please just check it out alot
    of folks dont even know about the side effects we did`nt.
    He quit taking it.
    I hope to hear your feeling better, that would be so scary!
    Big Hugs,
    Karen

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Kristy, I am so sorry you are having such a terrible time. Those effects are terrifying. I will keep you in my prayers! Please don't forget to tell your Dr. everything! I can't imagine how debilitating that must be for you. I hope you will be better soon. Linda

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. Still waiting to hear back from him. Lucy bless her heart gave me a ride to work so hubby wouldn't have to close the shop to come get me. I am feeling ok today other than the headache being back. I found out my sister who is also taking Lyrica and I didn't even know it had a very similar thing happen last night as well and had to go to the ER.

• kmonceaux
    15 years ago

My mother took this and it made her deathly ill. It was like she had the flu, but did't. She immediately started getting body aches, fever, and extreme vomiting. She didn't take it again the next day and was fine. About 2 weeks later she decided to try it again and it did the same thing to her. She will never take it again.

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well its a good thing I'm not dying because the nurse called twice and asked me a couple of questions then said the doctor would call me back and he never did. I am glad your mother didn't keep taking it. One lady I read about had the same flu like sympoms and died. I feel a little better today but am having pain and headache back from not taking it. No more weird episodes today thank goodness.

• gottahosta
    15 years ago

OMG, Kristy, I did not read this earlier- I thought you were talking about some kind of cycling shorts!!

How absolutely scary for you. I am so glad you made it home okey!!! Perhaps it's a good thing you haven't heard back from the Dr. that would perscribe such a horrible pain-killer.

I'm so sorry you had to go thru this experience! Chew that dr. a new one when you see him!

• redhotflowermama
    15 years ago

Kristy my husband takes lyrica but hasnt had any of those side effects. Said at first made him on the tired side but nothing else. Hope you get some results from the doctor. Keep calling until he calls you back. Judy

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It has really helped a lot of people. Me included so I am hoping it can be adjusted or that I find out it was something else that caused this. My sister and I both had a big spike in our blood pressure from pain as well so possibly something to do with that. I don't know yet. I will be calling him again tomorrow morning. There is not much left that I haven't tried and this has been the most helpful of them so far. Most others make me horribly sick or severe mood swings. Its also one of the only things that is supposed to help fibromyalgia, nerve pain and arthritis which I have all of. Too bad they can't do more to help people with this kind of problem. The only thing that helped before is vicodin without side effects but I was trying to find something else since if I have surgery or something else severe pain causing the pain medicines don't help much so I thought if I could get away from them they would work better when I have new pain. Steroids are the best thing for my pain but terrible on the joints and weight gain. I looked like the pillsbury dough boy I had been on them so much 2 years ago. What did the celebrex do that was so bad? That is the only thing I have ever tried that helped at least the arthritis with no side effects.

• albertar
    15 years ago

Hi Kristy
    This is a forum I read infrequently, but I'm on Lyrica also, so thought I'd give you a shout out. The side effects you are listing I have with and without Lyrica. The fog is known as fibro-fog, which is all too common with Fibromyalgia patients. Concentrating on anything is out of the question, and that along with the pain is what had me search out doctors and get a final diagnosis of Fibro.

What miilligrams are you taking? They can and may have to lower your dosage. I'm on 50mgs twice a day, but have taken 100mgs twice a day and was like a zombie. According to my doctor, one can go up to 400mgs a day, I don't think I could get out of bed or even think on that high of a dosage. Anyway, if you need to chat or compare symptoms, send me an email.

Alberta

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Alberta, I just talked to the doctor and he said after look back over my records and the sensitivity I have had with so many medications he believes it is too high a dose for me and is going to try lowering it and adjusting the dose. He wants me to just take it at night for a while 75mg twice a day is what I was on. I haven't had anymore bad side effects since the other night so will try that for a while and if I feel weird again he will lower that as well or try me on a smaller dose twice a day. I didn't realize so many people were taking this. I'm glad I posted it. I have the normal fibro fog already so that getting worse wasn't a good thing, lol. Thats why I am always telling people to remind me of stuff and I put the email in a folder or I forget what I am supposed to be sending people. When I get ready to mail things out I go to the folder and send everyones stuff at once. Speaking of that I will be sending out the seeds and a couple of plants to people as soon as I feel like I can drive again. Hubby is sending someone to pick me up today.

• albertar
    15 years ago

Kristy
    I hope you do better on the lower dosage. I was on 100mgs a day for 4 months, it didn't do much for the pain, but it sure did help me sleep through the night. Since it wasn't doing much for the pain, the neurologist put me on Cymbalta, after weaning me off the Lyrica. Well the cost of the Cymbalta threw me in a tizzy...$173.00 for 30 pills, God only knows why I filled that scrip, but I did. I knew I couldn't afford it monthly, so went back to the doctor and back on the Lyrica now. One thing I will mention is that during the summer months I feel better physically, during the cold winter months I want to roll up into a ball and die somewhere, the pain is all over my body then. Again, I do hope you do better on a lower dosage of the Lyrica.
    Alberta

• bonnie12210
    15 years ago

Kristy,the Dr started me off on 100mg twice a day,I was like you,so he changed my dosage to 75mg twice a day,that has helped,also I have noticed that it takes about an hour to kick in,try taking it a couple hours before you have to do any driving and it also has helped me to eat something, when I take it even just a piece of toast.I was totally going nuts,tring to figure out what was wrong with me,I told my DH to have me committed,that I had lost my mind.I do know that it has cut down on the pain alot,I have been on it now about 8 months,it is just a matter of having to work around the meds.I hope everthing works out for you.love ya,Bonnie

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Kristy, I sure hope you are feeling a little better now. I am so sorry you are having to deal with those kinds of effects. I have stayed away from the bug sprays and still have the pain and numbness, so maybe I was wrong about it too. Heaven only knows. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. Hopefully a lower dose will do the trick. Linda

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear that Linda, I had hoped it would solve your problem staying away from the bug spray. I had this for years and didn't know what it was until they finally sent me a rheumatologist who diagnosed me and said he couldn't believe they didn't know what it was as bad as mine was. Not many doctors know much about it I believe and try to avoid dealing with it like its not real. I think my neck is causing some of it as well since I was trying to put up a mini blind in the office today and had another really bad spell. Not confusion but headache and nausea and sweating. I had to give up after two screws, lol. I am going to have to really watch what I do with my neck messed up again.

• annebert
    15 years ago

Kristy,

Have you considered that you may also have chronic fatigue syndrome? Memory problems and big swings in blood pressure (especially when changing from lying to sitting or standing) are common with CFS, and it often goes along with fibromyalgia.

With both diseases, sensitivity to medication is common, and maybe you need to cut your dose even lower.

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wouldn't doubt it. I have never been diagnosed with it but I am always tired. That was what I complained about for years even before all the pain started. I will ask my doctor about it when I see him next week. I am going to ask him to lower my night time dose too. If I take it much later than 9pm I can't get up in the morning even at my normal 11am, lol. I don't know how my husband can put with me. He is up at daylight every day. I would give anything to feel normal again. Thank goodness I didn't have all this when the kids were really young. I don't know what I would have done.

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annebert, you might just have something there. I looked it up and that is exacty the symptoms I started out with and it progressed to the joint and body pain then nerve pain. Seems like there isn't much they can do about it though from what I have read. I will talk to my doctor about it though.

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Kristy, I don't know what any of us will do but I do know, something has to change. I am definitely going back to the Dr. and having him change medicines or something. I am having the headaches and sweating too. Today it was miserable. I have had 5 bones in my neck fused and 4 discs replaced with spongy growth pads so I don't think that is causing the nerve pain, but it sounds like what you are dealing with. Linda

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is that like artificial disks Linda? I had a double fusion last fall and then they went back in a few months later and removed a bone they took from my hip that had slid out of place and widened the foramen around the nerve. I have never been out of pain in my neck and arm since all that started but its the all over pain that gets to me the worst. My sister had an artificial disk put in her neck and has done much better. My surgeon act like he doesn't even want to discuss that since he doesn't do it and they said no other surgeon will work on my neck since he has already done stuff to it. I wanted to work outside today and just couldn't do much. Something has got to give. I was feeling so much better before I got all these side effects. I guess I will have to try something different or at least a smaller dose at bedtime and a small one for during the day. The nerve pain in my arm is coming back big time but my vision is getting worse causing me to have headache. So many people have this you would think there is something better to help. The medrol dosepack things are the only thing that really make me feel better but I have to save those for if I have to take a trip or I know I am going to be doing something like building a flower bed and hope the weather cooperates for the week I take it. I wonder how much a hurricane drink machine costs, lol. I still haven't recovered from that trip to New Orleans, lol. I sure hope you find something to help you. Its a miserable things living in pain. I know it will get better after a while so that keeps me going and looking forward to the days I feel better for a little while before it starts again. I have so much I need to do before winter.

• rialira
    15 years ago

I've been wondering about lyrica myself. the past week I haven't been able to turn my head, which makes sleeping pretty much impossible cause I can't even lie down. because of that, the rest of my spine's alignment is completely screwed up and I haven't been able to use my right arm. and I haven't even been able to get to therapy. do you get memory loss when the pain is bad? because I can't remember a damn thing this past week.

the past two days have been getting a little better, I can use my arm again but damn. I'll be 22 in two months but I already feel like an old lady.

Ria

• chena
    15 years ago

OH NO!! Kristy.. I got back in town at the weekend but I had not seen this..
    Kylie

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ria, find a good chiropractor if your neck is just out of alignment and yes it affects my memory some when I am in pain and under stress. Thats ok Kylie. I was gonna call you later on. I have to charge my phone first, lol.