SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Preparing for next year

caterwallin
13 years ago

I love wintersowing, but if I get Monarchs early in the year, my tropical milkweed plants that I wintersow just aren't very big for them by June. Also, with the horrible heat and dry weather we had here this summer, the tropical milkweed plants in the garden didn't really start growing to any decent size until about August! The ones that made it anyway. I probably lost about as many as what lived. I did have swamp milkweed in the milkweed patch but took it all out and replaced it with tropical milkweed since I found that the Monarchs like that best here of the ones that I tried (swamp, common, butterfly weed, and tropical).

This year I started about 40 purple milkweed in pots and hopefully most of them will live and feed the Monarchs next year along with my tropical milkweed. Thank goodness I had tropical milkweed in about 20 pots or I wouldn't have had much of anything to feed the Monarchs.

To be better prepared for next year, I brought a few of those tropical milkweeds in the house for the winter. I also took some cuttings from the ones outside and put them in water and have them in the house too. In an attempt to have more milkweed for the Monarchs this past summer, I took the remaining ones out of the milk jugs that came up from wintersowing (they were still little) and planted them in small pots, but those never really did grow too much. I hated to see them just die outside with the frost, so I took them out of the potting soil and wanted to see how they'd do over the winter inside just sitting in bottles of water temporarily until I can plant them outside in the spring. I don't know if they'll do well or not, but I figured at least it's a try and they wouldn't die outside. I don't have room for 100 pots in the house and I guess this was my lame attempt at saving the plants. Ha.

I think it's important to have potted plants sitting around in case of dry weather like we had. It's so much easier to water them in pots, and at least I know that those will do well. Also, hopefully most of my cuttings and "starts" will make it over the winter inside here and will make it through any extreme dry weather like we had. I'm thinking that if the ones that I plant out next year are bigger than the ones this past year that they'll already be pretty established by the time any dry weather would hit.

My potted purple milkweed is kind of an experiment. Since they have taproots, I'm not sure how well they'll do in the pots. I was reluctant to plant them in the milkweed patch because our veggie garden is also in that area. I didn't want the plants coming up all over the place if they spread through the rhizome system like Common Milkweed. I have to read up on that because I'm not sure of the specifics on the PMW. I can hardly wait until next year to see how many come back from this year. I kept them watered every day, which was a pain in the butt, but I'm hoping that it was worth it. I think those flowers are just gorgeous!

I'm also going to do some wintersowing of tropical milkweed because what I have inside wouldn't be enough to fill the milkweed patch, but I at least want some already pretty big to start out the season. This year I had too many eggs and not enough milkweed! Are you all going to be prepared for next year? I'm thinking that I will be but we'll see....

Cathy

Comments (7)

Sponsored