SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ams2009

Had a gst eclose & wings ar� deformed! :(

ams2009
13 years ago

Have several pupa and have been keeping them outdoors to avoid butterflies eclosing during bad weather like last year. My last cat just pupated this week! Anyway, as is the norm here, we had spring/summer like temps/weather last week & weekend so that kind of defeated my purpose for keeping the pupa outside this year, and had 3 chrysalis turning dark by Monday and they all eclosed on Wednesday. I came home at lunch to check them & still none had eclosed & I made sure they were all placed where they could climb up so wings could dry/form properly, but when I got home from work that evening, they were all 3 out & I immediately noticed that one had shriveled up wings, I was crushed, I don't know what went wrong! I looked at all of the chrysalis "skins" and they all look like they opened properly, like none had any problem crawling out. Looks like the wings never expanded, and they are brittle, u can hear them when the Bf tries to "fly" and flutters them. I'm keeping him indoors, and feeding him, I put him out in mornings before work in mesh cage in the Sunshine, and was off today so he got to spend most of the day out in the sunny weather. I feel terrible for the little guy!! I let him crawl around when i can watch him, so he has some freedom, but is there anything else i can do for him? I remember reading before that male gst BF's like to "puddle" and was wondering what i could use to make This Bf a "puddle" to play around in? I wish i could do something about his wings, its so sad, its like he doesnt know and still tr�es to fly, and flaps his little shriveled wings really fast like all of them do. He can jump way far though, and always Lands on his feet! Just would like to do anything i can to make him confortable since he wont ever get to fly off, any advice appreciated!

Comments (3)

Sponsored