SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phongdor

Al's Gritty Mix For Sowing Lithops Seeds

phongdor
12 years ago

Hi all, It's great to be here! I was lurking here on gardenweb for quite some time before I broke down and registered for an account. Past due that I did!

I discovered Al's recipe for gritty mix and set off on a long, arduous journey to seek out those 3 most elusive ingredients. After more almost a month of searching, driving, calling, trawling, sifting, and a bit of hair-pulling, I have finally obtained the 1/8" crushed granite, 1/8" Turface, and Reptibark (Fir bark). Yay!

I've since repotted the various succulents I scooped up from Lowes, Home Depot, and Orchard Supply Hardware into the gritty mix and now I'm ready to start watching my plants and learning their watering needs.

On to my original question, though: Can I sow Lithops seeds in this gritty mix? I've read that Al spreads a 1/8" of his Turface fines on top of seeds, but I only discovered this after I threw out my own Turface fines =/ I do have silica sand that is even more coarse than my screened crushed granite and Turface. Would that work as a top layer? I also have a much finer grade of silica sand available, the type used for pool filters.

It seems that if I were to sprinkle the Lithops seeds onto the gritty mix, some seeds would fall into cracks and crevices, while others might sit on top of the mix, fully exposed. Is this okay? Should I have a base of gritty mix and sandwich the seeds between two 1/8" layers of sand (a base of gritty mix, 1/8" of sand, seeds, 1/8" of sand)? I suspect I am over complicating this but I just want to be sure I get it right :)

Please help out a new grower and thanks!

I hope this thumbnail works:

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/turfacecrushedgranitesi.jpg/][IMG]http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3543/turfacecrushedgranitesi.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH