SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmwilson_gw

Rebounding echeveria

rmwilson
10 years ago

I have what I believe is some kind of echeveria, though I wouldn't swear to it because it's my first surviving attempt at keeping a succulent, and I got it at a big box hardware store about a year ago. Anyway, it had become extremely etiolated so (after I finally figured out what was wrong with it) I moved it into the only window in my apartment- east facing, looking onto a narrow covered walkway, so it's getting fairly bright but still indirect sunlight. It's been there a few weeks now and it's putting out new growth, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it from here.
First, there's the tiny little rosette that's sprouting out of the main stem: the window where it's living is also my cat's favorite spot and he took an unfortunate interest in the new occupant, which why you see the scabbed-over broken off top and "puncture wounds" in the photo. I'd imagine the scabbed over top is why the rosette is growing out of the side, but I'm worried if that will keep it from growing normally; will I be able to reroot it when (if) it gets a bit bigger? Thankfully the cat seems to have lost interest, so I'm not too worried about him doing further damage.
Also, just today I noticed the little "baby" that you can see growing under the bigger plant; there's another one that's a bit bigger on the other side. I've never seen anything about this online, and they both a little tiny stem under the soil that seems to be attached to the main one, but I was afraid to dig down to see for sure because I didn't want to damage anything. What are these little sprouts, and how to I care for/separate them?
Finally, one of the leaves the cat knocked off laid in the dirt unnoticed for a few days and sprouted roots. I've since moved it to its own pot and it's still just sitting on top of the soil, but it's putting out new roots and I think I even see little tiny leaves starting, but I don't know what to do with it from here. How much water does it need? If I leave it alone, will the roots eventually start growing down into the soil, or do I need to bury them at some point?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting