SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

Dianthus Questions

trianglejohn
16 years ago

Do any of the other Dianthus species form perennial clumps other than the little Cottage pinks in this region?

I grew a bunch of different types from seed. Dianthus barbatus and D. chinesis and hybrids of each. This will be their second year and most are getting mighty perky and forming buds. I'm thrilled to finally see the blooms but I'm wondering how much effort to put in their watering if they aren't gonna form truly perennial clusters. Dianthus barbatus is the regular Sweet William (I even got a few variegated seedlings!). Dianthus chinesis is the one you usually see offered in the winter with the extra large flat flowers most often in shades of pink with dark red centers. The others that I grew are hybrids between D. chinesis and whatever the species is on the little Cottage Pinks.

I was growing them to sell at the farmers market but I've closed up shop due to the drought. After the 15th outdoor watering will be banned and I will have to haul water to the millions of seedlings I have. I plan on keeping some of them but I was wondering if they really come back each year like the seed packet said.

I know that PDN sells (or used to sell) D. barbatus 'Heart Attack' which is just a very dark bloody red form of Sweet William. I never bought one so I have no idea if they bloom much after the second year or if they are like Lobelia and some of the Penstemons where you have to actively manage the clump to keep them blooming year after year.

Comments (4)