SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedbandito

How to sex a brugmansia?

seedbandito
17 years ago

I've been a lurker since spring when another GW member generously gave me 4 cuttings of brugs, 2 yellow insignis, white suaveolens and a pink versicolor. I'm happy to report, through much trial and error, I've had 2 glorious flushes of blooms on all four of them.

I've battled aphids, japanese beatles and earwigs. Wound up buying a 50% shade cloth for my deck where I keep them due to sunburned leaves. I water them 2 & 3 times a day on extremely hot days, (and we've had plenty of them). I feed them MG twice a week at least. In general, I cater to them.

Could anyone please tell me why they haven't set not one seed pod? I ordered the Brug & datura book and have been reading like woman possessed. I'm in the propagation section and it says to "use long tweezers to remove the stamens, with the pollen, from the father and wipe these onto the stigma of the mother plant". I don''t recall the part in the book where it tells you how to sex them.

Since the first 4 cuttings, I now have aquired an Elly May, a Frosty Pink, Taylor Dawn and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Morgensonne & Gemini. I guess you can say "I'm now smitten with Brugmansias".

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Have a good evening.

Nancy

Comments (15)