SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladobe

A drizzle is better than nothing�

ladobe
13 years ago

The monsoons have threatened Las Vegas for weeks and weeks this year, with a steep humidity shift, dark ominous clouds, lots of thunder and some minimal lighting shows out over the mountains on again off again. But instead of the normal torrential rain (and resulting floods) they usually bring in town, here at my place all I got out of all the noise and hubbub was a 10 minute drizzle about 10 days ago that barely got the sidewalk wet. Even so it did really make my Lantana "pop", and brought on 2-3 species of skippers in fair numbers. There are also quite a few Brephidium exilis flitting around the Lantana as well but they never land. Another thread has a picture of the first Vanessa seen here this year. And last night quite a few Grammia nevadensis visited my lights (it's way late in the season for them to be flying).

Anyway, I took a few pictures. Nothing fancy, just point and shoot stuff with the new little camera. It's really hard to get good pictures with this camera leaning as far over and down from the walker as I can reach, holding the very small/light weight box steady in one big hand, pushing the shutter with a thumb while not being able to see the LCD viewfinder to compose pictures. So it takes a lot of tries to get any pictures worth keeping. IOW, anything close to the ground is just not in "my world" anymore when it comes to pictures. You sure can see the difference between the pictures I take near ground level and those up in my world. LOL

Lantana camara X 'New Gold'

{{gwi:548052}}

A blurry skipper...

{{gwi:548054}}

We have a lot of Chilopsis linearis here that has been in full bloom all season, so I finally took a picture of it. Have never seen anything using it, which is surprising because out on the desert where it grows wild it is a beacon for all the Lepidoptera, Coleoptera, Hymenoptera, Diptera, Trochilidae (and other Aves) that live on or migrate through it.

{{gwi:548056}}

Caesalpinia pulcherrima revisited...

{{gwi:548058}}

And with a friend...

{{gwi:548061}}

Larry

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz