SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sowley

dual-pot method for darlingtonia

sowley
18 years ago

This spring I began an experiment using a dual pot method to raise darlingtonia (cobra lilies) outside without extra care. Since I have had success, I thought that I would post here about it.

The method consists of a small, glazed pot, containing the plant and growing medium, which is placed in the bottom of a much larger, unglazed pot, the space between them filled in with sand or perlite, and the top of the large pot half-covered with a white cotton cloth. A wire mesh around the inner pot, extending to the lip of the large pot, allows the perlite fill to extend to the top of the large pot. The large pot is then buried almost completely in the ground.

Heat exhange and moisture level are controlled passively by the system, via evaporation. We have had a very hot (90's) and dry summer, but the cobra has sent up several new leaves and is doing very well. It is feeding itself in the usual way.

This method is not lovely, but it is zero care and allows cultivation of the plant in a hostile environment. When winter comes, I will simply cover the pot all the way until March.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!