SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juanh_gw

Charles Grimaldi or Dr. Seuss?

juanh
16 years ago

Last year I planted in the ground my first Brugmansia which was labeled as Charles Grimaldi. It grew extremely fast, and had HUGE serrated leaves (which I didn't like).

It was just like this one, but this one has smaller leaves since it's a smaller plant still in a 3gal container:

{{gwi:533574}}

I just came across another brugmansia that has almost identical flowers and scent, but the leaves are not serrated and much smaller (which I do like) although it's a mature plant.

I broke off a branch and this is how it looks like:

{{gwi:533575}}

From the picture it's not ovbious that the leaves are smaller, but they really are. Could this be a Dr. Seuss?

I'm confussed about which one is suppossed to have the serrated leaves, as I've seen pictures of both having them? The description on countrygarden.com indicates that Charles Grimaldi has mostly smooth edged leaves and Dr. Seuss has serrated leaves. It would be great if someone can clarify the type and size of leaves that these two varieties really have.

From the pictures, which is the "real" Charles Grimaldi, and which is the "real" Dr. Seuss, if in fact the 2nd picture is a Dr. Seuss, as I'm guessing, or could it be something else?

By the way, what's the easist way to root the branch that I broke off? It's pretty big, so should I cut it into smaller pieces and just stick them in water?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Comments (8)