SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael_in_pa

Questions from another beginner

michael_in_pa
16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I have some questions for those of you who are "seasoned veterans" growing brugmansias. I am new to gardening let alone these beautiful angelÂs trumpets. I purchased what I believe is a basic white (cultivar unknown I guess) from mail order and itÂs thriving quite nicely. It arrived in mid to late July I believe and was about a 12" cutting at the time. ItÂs now only about 16" tall but growing leaves nicely. Living in western PA (zone 5) I have chosen to grow my brug in a potÂmy first blunder I realize was planting it in a pot that is probably too large. I started it out in a small 6"-8" container that I simply planted within the larger 12"-16" and removed the small container when I began to see roots protruding.

Anyway, my concerns are that although itÂs branching it is not getting very tallÂperhaps itÂs putting all itÂs energy into the two branches off the main trunk. I am going to try to attach photos of the young plant and was wondering if IÂm wrong to assume that it has started the "Y" that many talk about. IÂm thinking perhaps these are just lateral side branches? I also noticed leaves on this "Y" that have the uneven appearance that is visible as the plant begins to bud. As September approaches, I want to make sure IÂm prepared to winter my brugmansia indoors and I have soooo many questions in relation to pruning, and how to overwinter indoors. Is Miracle Gro plant food not recommended for a plant with such young, tender roots? Can you please give me some pointers?

For instance, is a basic white a good type to grow as a tree? I do prefer the tree look, but will consider leaving it as is if thatÂs what best. At only 16" tall is it best to let it grow indoors until spring with much sunlight and occasional watering or let it go dormant in a cool place? (IÂve read that aphids may pose a problem when wintering indoors) Perhaps, like many others IÂm a bit hasty to see growth, but the growth I was expecting was to see it get taller firstÂIÂm thinking the cutting was possibly taken above the "Y"Â? And, with leaves showing the "uneven" appearance where itÂs attached to the stem, am I wrong to assume that it could produce a bloom at such a small size? If these branches are not the "Y" that IÂm waiting for should I prune them and let the main stem get taller and thicker and eventually form a true "Y". What to do about the shoot between and extending up from the "Y" (if it is in fact)Âdo I trim that?

Any help would be most appreciated. IÂve planted some hardy geraniums, variegated weigela, coreopsis, salvia and some other perennials, but this brugmansia has my full attention for some reason. ItÂs a joy and pleasure to experience all of the LordÂs creation, but these angelÂs trumpets are quite beautiful and they grow so amazingly fast! IÂve attached some links to my photos at photobucketÂI apologize if the links donÂt work. IÂm new to posting photos to the forum and wanted to follow proper etiquette when posting them. Thank you and happy gardening! Links to photos below.

Kind Regards,

Michael

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd78/mdietz0164/BrugPhoto1.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd78/mdietz0164/BrugPhoto2.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd78/mdietz0164/BrugPhoto3.jpg

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery